ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, Z lovers. I'm new to the z-site, but I think it's a great looking car and I'm thinking of buying one. I was wondering if someone could tell me waht I would expect to pay for a '70-'72 240Z in decent condition (not needing a lot of work). Thanks, dudes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
> Have you driven a z before? If not I recommend a test drive to be sure that it is the type of vehicle you really want. Understand that vehicles of this age require consistent maintenance and often times need a moderate amount of work, regardless of previous history.
A 240-z, with little rust (they all rust), needing a moderate amount of work can range from $2000 to $8000+. Just be careful, and have an experienced mechanic/body expert assess any vehicle before you buy. Expect to invest towards the $10K range in the long run to get a z that rates very good to excellent. It gets expensive. Examples? New Dash: Up to $800, New interior, up to $500, New Seats $400, good body work, $2500 easy. Struts, springs, ball joints and other assorted mechanics $2000 easy. We are up in the $6000 range now, not including purchase price. Want a/c? Add $800. I think you get the message. Anyways, I love my 240, and I think it's worth every penny of what I put into it.
Be sure you share the passion before you buy so you are not disappointed. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Hey there, Z lovers. I'm new to the z-site,
> but I think it's a great looking car and I'm
> thinking of buying one. I was wondering if
> someone could tell me waht I would expect to
> pay for a '70-'72 240Z in decent condition

Hey! I bought a '72 240Z for $1,800 and spent about $400
on parts before I get it road-worthy. (It had really bad steering
jitter.) I doubt you'll find a Z of this year for a reasonable price
that doesn't need work...

I still have to spend about $2000 on it before I'll want to drive
very much.

I think if you want something that'll be fun but you won't have
to work on all the time, you might look at something newer or
older or just different.

Before I test drove my Z, the only things I'd ever driven were
old (50s-70s) fullsize pickup trucks. Quite a difference.

-rr

·
Registered
381 Posts
Spend as much as you can afford for the best body yu can get--Frame most important,then rear fenders,then rockers then front fenders. Look for the most complete car the little parts are always the most expensive or hard to find. RESEARCH!!!Spend as much time looking to gain a good knowledge of pricing, contact local Z club to see ifany members are selling or know of any for sale. $2000 is about a good price for a decent car bu that varies tremendously. Good luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Between $650 and $30,000

> (not needing a lot of work). Thanks, dudes.

The $30,000 figure is ridiculous to me, but I saw an ad where a guy's trying to sell his for that much (see my post from yesterday, Must Be A Typo...).

The 240's seem to be a heck of a lot more expensive than the 280's. Their body shape is the same, but the 240's have different bumpers (and other stuff) and they're carbureted, while the 280's are fuel injected.

I bought my '78 280Z for $800.00 last month. The body was in good shape but the engine needed work (still does, isn't yet on the road). As I shopped around I found that in the L.A. area you can get a roadworthy 280Z for between $1500 and $2000.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Between $650 and $30,000

> The $30,000 figure is ridiculous to me, but
> I saw an ad where a guy's trying to sell his
> for that much (see my post from yesterday,
> Must Be A Typo...).

There is another ad (for $29,500) just around the corner :)

<A HREF=http://zcar.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/list/autos.911504633.16118.html>http://zcar.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/list/autos.911504633.16118.html</A>

·
Registered
181 Posts

I bought a 1977 280Z for $500 and put in about $200 to get it running. It runs good but I am no where close to being done. I plan on investing a lot more time and money in before I am fineshed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
HI Dave I picked up a 71 for 800 dollars awhile back ,great body and interier ,runs ok, BUT I need to go througth the whole front end and replace the bushing ect ect. also take in mind that I have been hunting 240Zs the last 15yrs or so and own 5 now, Ive passed up alot of junk that looked ok at first,and some times its been a year or two before I came across a find. but good luck and check out any thing you find cheap very close a rusted out Z is not a little progect. Z-YA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.