ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel silly asking this question but I have searched a few times in the past and come up with nothing.

In the summer if I am running a full tank of gas I will come out to my Z to find gas streaked down the side from the gas cap. fa-kin-a here on zcar.com mentioned in his "tips for better fuel milage" to "check gas cap to see if it holds pressure."

If replacement is necessary (and it seems like it is) does it matter if I go with either:

Nissan Genuine: $28.72
Local Autoparts Store: $7.99

I asked the autoparts store and they said it was "vented" when I asked whether or not it was designed for a pressurized system. They said they had a vented and a non-vented gas cap.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Post Edited (Sep 16, 6:33am)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The original part has a vacuum relief valve, so you could think of it as "semi vented". Best to go with the genuine part whether new or secondhand.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Agree with the gist of the previous post but you could spend about 5 bucks and get a Stant cap at Carquest etc and get just as good a part as the OEM. Four years ago my car failed inspection due to a bad cap. The shop owner reccomended Stant. I got one, the car passed and has passed every time since.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mister_T, freewill, thank you for all of the advice and knowledge. I am going to look into that supplier to see if I can get the Stant cap that you mentioned. I definitely agree that Genuine Nissan parts are the best, but my budget is about as low as they come!

Thanks again for your responses/advice!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
stu, i had the same problem. this is what i did:

Go to a pool store like Leslie's or Paddock. once you get there, take your gas cap off, remove the rubber o-ring from it. Go into the store with the oring and either find one of same diameter that has thicker rubber, or ask one of the store associates to find an oring that is comparable in size but thicker.

worked like a charm on my car. now when i fill up at the station, you hear all the pressure being let out of the tank when you take the cap off.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
free is good, but those orings will be just as old and deteriorated as the one you're replacing. and the new oring from the pool store cost me like $1.99 or so.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
phxz31 - thank you for the tip! I actually took freewill's advice and picked up a Stant brand gas cap, but I have not been able to test it to see if it has made a difference. I will hold on to my original gas cap for now as well and if the Stant brand gas cap doesn't do the trick I will try that method.

Thanks for the helpful tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.