ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be taking her out for the first open lapping day at the track on Sat. Any tips from you road course runners. 92 Slicktop btw

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Be prepared to get "track days" in your blood.

1. pay attention to the track officials.
2. learn the line.
3. side on caution.
4. pay attention to your car, on and off the track (durring cool down)
5. NEVER SET YOUR PARK BRAKE AFTER YOUR TIME ON THE TRACK!
6. Have a blast!

If you are able to, trailer your car to the track. Not for show. But there is a tremendous peace of mind in knowing that if you break something, you don't have to worry about getting the car fixed... or home.
I think that I drive more aggressively when I trailer my Z to the track...

Good times.

Iodonzs

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Brakes: Make sure you change the fluid before the event. Replace it with some high temp. DOT 4 or better. You will use your brakes more then you can ever imagine. A good off the shelf brand is Havoline Synthetic DOT 4, but if you can get some in time, go with a brake fluid that has a dry boiling point around 550 or better. Many Japanese motor cycle shops will sell Motul BPF600 or ATe Blue Racing. Both will work better then anything you can buy at the standard auto parts stores.

Tires: Don't go with new fresh tires. Use a set of tires that are around 1/2 way through thier tread life if possible. You will trash your tires by the end of the event so just accept it.

Misc Equip: Make sure you have a battery hold down clamp on your battery. If your battery is loose, they will not allow you to run the car. Bungie cords do not count as a clamp by the way.

Smooth and steady: If anything, remember one thing. You only have a limited amount of traction from each corner. Don't brake in the middle of a turn. Complete all your braking for the turn during the approaching straight and keep all your transitions from braking to acceleration and back to braking as SMOOOOOTH as possible. Any jerky moves will upset the balance of the car and reduce your traction.

Patients: If they offer in class room training before you go on the track, take it. You'll learn a lot from those that have done it before. Listen to what people have to say and understand the basic concepts. Take your time and learn the track. Don't go out there and try to be the fastest person on the track on your 1st lap. If all goes well, then your last laps of the day should be your fastest.

Above all, HAVE A GREAT TIME! I wish more people on this forum would understand the fun you can have at a lapping day event. Like Iodonzs said. "Be prepared to get track days in your blood". Once you've tracked your Z you will never be the same again.

Post Edited (Jan 27, 4:58am)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Great advise JT,

And what you said about brakes is so true. The first time I hit the track I was amazed at how much I was on the brakes. And I was also amazed that mine held up as well as they did.... my new wish list is a big brake pkg!

And yes, my fastest lap times have always come at the end of the day.

Iodonzs

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it was an awesome day! I can only say that if you own a Z and deny yourself the opportunity to get it on a roadcourse you will never appreciate the car to its fullest. I even had the opportunity to take the wife's car out (00 Grand Prix GTP Pace Car) and was quite impressed with that one as well. It wasn't nearly as rewarding to drive as the Z but the supercharger made powering out of corners fun. Here's a quick clip of the front straight in the Z. http://members.aol.com/zslicktop/videos/cars/WOT

Post Edited (Jan 30, 4:49pm)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
I think you mean this link

<http://members.aol.com/zslicktop/videos/cars/frontstraight>

oh and you need to rename the file with an ".avi" extension for it to work.

p.s. looked like a lot of fun!

Post Edited (Feb 1, 9:36am)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.