ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>we've got a 78 that runs pretty good but with 138k-238k the compression is starting to go south and we're considering an overhaul now b4 things really get sour. My son has been looking at flat top pistons as one upgrade but what else can we do while it's down?
>my inclination is to go mild or just overhaul back to factory overhaul specs, just build a solid daily driver but it's my sons car and....
>looking for options I don't think the budget (his) will support anything real wild but I'm thinking along the lines of ignition, fuel, headers, possibly a mild cam...
>overhaul experience is somthing neither of us have but time and patience we've got. The car isn't his primary ride so it's not like we've got to b in a big hurry.
>any thoughts or guidance from somebody who has been this route would be greatly appreciated. thanks popeye

· Registered
17 Posts
You may want to leave the motor stock and do some other small mods that make some good power. Porting the head makes a very noticable difference in power. Removing the stock fan and installing an electric fan and a larger throttle body are helpful also. I wouldn't bother with the exhaust unless you were to do these other modifications first. It seems that the head is where you can find alot of power on these cars.

· Registered
8 Posts
a good tune up will add more than most single upgrades, but: cold air intake, 2.5in pipe, hi-flo muff., indexed plugs, good fuel syst. cleaner. as for the overhaul, be very careful; very, very careful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.