ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my tranny came to it's new home today from a junk yard just east of Saskatoon. From a white 86 Z with about 130Km on it. I'll be putting it in next weekend since I will be needing my Z for travel to work and back. I'm kind of nervouse since this will be my first "major" disection and rebiuld of anything to my Z. Any pointers?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is it a manual tranmission or automatic? If you are just dropping in a manual transmission - don't be nervous! It's not bad :). It is more difficult to get all of the stuff out of the way so that you can pull the old one out. Once you are that far you are home free.

I dropped my tranny for the first time earlier this year and it worked out!

Tips:
* Put the tranny fluid into your new transmission *before* you put it in.
* If you don't have a lift and tranny jack just make sure you have a buddy and 2 floor jacks.
* Lift the car up as high as possbile
* Study your Haynes manual (and use the Haynes) if you haven't done this before. It's all there.

I wish I had more tips - but I have only done it once and I am an amatuer at best!

Good luck!

·
Registered
958 Posts
ya, you need to jack the car up as HIGH as possible. We ended up jacking my car like 4 feet in the air. I thought it was 2 much @ first but it turned out to be barely enuff.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I dont know if anybody else does this but I poor my tranny fluid in through the shifter hole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.