ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Window not working

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  domdogg123 
#1 ·
The passenger-side window on my 86 isn't working. Not sure if this is the motor or wiring. I unscrewed the wiring cover next to the passenger door and found a three-wire cable that was unplugged as well as a single broken black wire coming from alongside the passenger seat right where the door closes. If anyone knows if there is a connector for the power window that I can test with 12V and if so where it's located I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Nic

#3 ·
Go to www.z31.com
click on "repairs"
Go to Item #18 "Power window repair" It will tell you how to remove the door panel.
I would check your contacts for corrosion on the window switch and check for voltage to the switch and check the switch for continuity too. then work back from there. My brothers 86 window would not function and I tore into it and most of the problem had to do with cleaning contacts and I lucked out that way.

#5 ·
I guess a previous owner tried to repair it because the whole assembly was completely messed up and mostly loose inside the door. I fixed that, but now the motor will only go one direction when I toggle the switch. It goes both if I connect it directly to 12V, and it will only go one direction for both the passenger side and driver side window controls, so I don't think it's the switches. I think it's a wire. Does anyone have a pin-out of the passenger power-window-switch-connector so I can test voltages?

Thanks,
Nic

#7 ·
Check the switches. I had a problem like that, all I had to do was open up the switches and bend/sand the connective metal fingers a little so that when the button was pushed it made a better contact. Open it up and you'll see what I'm talking about. Take the top cover off until you see the metal fingers and carefully push down on them. If that fixes your problem, do what I just told you.

#8 ·
I don't think it's the switches. They look shiny and clean. Inside the passenger door, however, there's an extra connector... I'm wondering if I'm missing something. The motor is currently plugged in to a connector that goes into a bundle of wires from the passenger door switch, but there's another connector that fits the motor connector that is loose. Am I supposed to have some sort of adapter that plugs into all three?

Thanks,
Nic

#12 ·
Okay thanks. I got the switch and window working, but I still have to fix the driver-side switch. Also, I only have one of four bolts to bolt the power-window motor to the door with. Does anyone know where I can find the bolt type (thread size, length, etc)?

Thanks,
Nic

#15 ·
Glad to hear you got it working,thats what makes it fun owning a Z, learning to do things like this as you go. Also makes you feel **** good that you accomplished a task like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.