ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the horse power differences between the 280z and 240z engines.
I'm planning on putting a 280 into a 240. the 280 is an 83 and the 240 is a 72. there will be some parts left over if anybody needs any please let me know.
83 is a roll over.tranny still good.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
The 83 l28 has 145hp(net)@the flywheel(the flat-top pistons help it make 10 extra hp more than the 75-80 l28), the 240 is factory rated at 150 but thats a gross figure, it really makes about 120-125hp(net). I'd use the tranny and rear-end too if I were you.

JT

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I allready have a 5 speed in my car and I'm not sure the rear diff will work,will it ?
Also this is a non turbo car with some good interior peices,seats,dash,doopanels that kind of stuff,plus the elecrical should be fine since I'm not running the injection.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
I've heard the 82-83 NA 5speed is stronger(I think someone said that) and the different gear ration work better with the 3.9 rear diff. The rear diff from the 280ZX is a 3.9 R200, its not a direct bolt in but you can put them in pretty easily. It been discussed many times in the archives you might wanna look. also look on in the links part of this site for bryans Zcar garage it has alot of info and I'm pretty sure it says why the late 5 speed is better nd how to put a r200 in a 240Z.

If you lived closer to KY, I would be intrested in your interior stuff.

Justin T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.