ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly limping the Z back onto the road. It has been sitting with a blown high pressure steering fluid hose. I finally purged the old gas and gave it some fresh 93. I've taken it out on the road once. Yesterday I took it out again.

On the way down the driveway, it stalled. The stereo went off. The engine stumbled but came back to idle on its own. I smelled a burnt electrical odor. So I backed up the driveway and let the turbo timer idle the engine for ten minutes. When I looked around the engine bay, I found the Allen bolt that holds the negative cables to the Monster terminal was more or less welded to the terminal.

What happened? What should I do about it?

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I found the Allen bolt that holds the negative cables to the Monster terminal was more or less welded to the terminal.
You had a short to ground and the current flow caused heat which caused whatever those things you're talking about are, to melt.

The short was either temporary from a large positive wire touching ground temporarily, or lasted just long enough for a fusible link or the wire to destroy itself. Is your battery bolted down?

Find the source of the short. Check your fuses and fusible links. What else would you do?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts