ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a lot of noise from my power steering pump and vibration as well. My power steering fluid has been leaking for a while. I've been losing power steering fluid for the past 1000 miles or so (never letting it run low of course) because I've been too busy with work and other crap. Now that I have some time, I want to fix my Z and make it feel good. It's a 1996 NA 300 zx.

I have some questions:
1) Is it ok for me to continue driving my Z around town (less than 20 miles before it will be fixed) knowing that my power steering may fail?

2) I will have to replace my power steering pump, right?

3) How difficult would it be to take apart the power steering pump and fix the offending bearing (I am assuming it is a bearing because of the sound I am hearing)?

4) Can I perform all of the repairs needed by myself in less than 4 hours time?

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
you are most likely leaking fluid onto your alternator.. the more you drive it like that the greater chance you will kill your alternator and have to replace that as well, if it isnt damaged already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I "disable" my power steering somehow to stop it from leaking crap all over the place?

As in, could I disconnect the power steering belt and be able to take turns while I'm not spewing fuild all over my engine bay.

I don't have electrical problems yet, thankfully, but it would suck to have to deal with that as well. The leaking has not been very bad, just had to get it topped off 2-3 times in the last 1000 miles.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Yep - take off belt and drain fluids. Try flushing alty with some distilled water (no minerals).

Parking in tight places - at low speeds will no longer be much fun!!!

Post Edited (Jan 26, 3:30pm)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The high pressure hose is notorious for leaking at the connections. It is the lower hose. Check that first-that may be your only problem. It happened to me. Cost me $200 total to fix but, if you get an after market hose, it's cheaper.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I'd check the fluid, if not ATF, than change to it. Mine was filled with PS fluid and was leakin. Well it killed my alternator. So i got 2 new hoses to the resovoir and high pressure hose. Did it myself, not THAT bad to do. Although at the time i wasn't thinkin and i'm using regular PS fluid. No leaking, but i need to one of these days put drain it or somtin and put in ATF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.