ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys replaced your power steering rack yourselves? The reason I ask is the almost $1k difference in price if I just get a rebuilt rack from Coz and do it myself.

I was reading a post somewhere and someone said try it yourself that it wasn't hard, but I don't remember what forum or who it was and don't know whether to take them seriously or not.

Let me know if you have or if you know where a write up for the job is.

Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
previous owner said that was the prob

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i mean somebody give me an idea of what it could be and what to try and i will... i hate the fact that there's no haynes manual for these things...

·
Registered
652 Posts
If the problem is it leaking check the high pressure hose first. It easy to change and only cost about $50 at autozone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not leaking... at all... full reservoir.... just no and I mean NO power steering.

I'll eventually take it to get it checked, but I was just wondering how hard the rack is to replace in case that is what it is.

·
Registered
652 Posts
maybe the pump?

Changing the rack takes maybe 3-4 hours. It can be a PITA but if you've done anything harder than change the spark plugs you should be fine. If you do change the rack, change the bushings.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really...? I would have thought it would be a complicated process. I've done water pumps, thermostats, etc. but nothing REALLY involved.

anybody know where I can find a write up?

·
Registered
602 Posts
i had mine done on my 91 tt last year cuz i hadnt noticed the boot split and let so much dirt into the seals that the whole unit was dumping fluid.....but a rebuilt one was only like 220 $$ and another 200 for the mechanic to do the job........biggest prob was that i went through three units before i got the right one i ended up needing a 94 2+2 rack for my 91 2 seater

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
huh?... why wouldn't the regular coupe rack work?

And what kind of mechanic did you find to install for 200?! If I could find somebody reliable like that it would be done already.

My local import shop wants to charge me $1200 parts and labor and the stealership wants to charge me $1200 JUST for the rack, BEFORE labor. Now you see why I want to try it myself if possible.

·
Registered
602 Posts
he said the book said 2 hours of labor and so 200 $$ the rack that i originally got was like 6 inches too long and hung out way past the hubs even with the tie rod ends all tightened all the way down .

·
Registered
608 Posts
My mechanic found the same problem Friday with my 90 NA, and said about 350 part, 250 labor, and I should do the full flush or better yet new pump for a total around 850.

I am driving with no power steering as well. The worst is how the car does not right itself after a turn, but rather wants to stay 'turned'. Unlike manual steering, this really take some getting used to, and I'm eager to fix it.

I mean, ****, the best part about this car is how it takes turns!

dt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.