ZCar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what is happening is my steering will be "tuff" (not to hard to turn just more than normal) for about 20 seconds when I first start my car than be smooth like butter after that. Before the engine gets to temp sometimes it will get really smooth and jerk in the direction of the turn. Doesn't seem to be making any nose than a normal pump.

Now when I first bought the car I drove it to work and the res. was Bone dry (one fluid I stupidly forgot to check) so I used a small amount mobdro kodi of torq fluid (about 2-4oz) to get to the store to buy some ATF. All seemed fine didn't really have any problems. Now ifs kinda acting up and doesn't do it all the time. Ever blue moon it will do the smooth jerk even at temp but that's rare.

It's been about a year and I never drained the torq fluid from before, so just to get someone elses 2 cents replace the pump or would the fluid be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
The least I would do is remove the existing fluid and refill with the correct stuff. It sounds like there may be damage, but as long as the steering isn't dangerous, you can try this kind of cheap fix.

It sounds like the pump is struggling to build up pressure when started, and perhaps is losing it a bit while driving. Keep alert that it doesn't put you in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The PS system is quite complex, especially the TT models, also have a steering angle on the column. It's not just the pump that controls the steering effort.
Here is an excellent read from TT.net member on how our Z32 PS works. I've read it many times and was able to narrow down my issues.
Hope this helps: But its easy to replace the fluid to see if the issue continues as pilgrim suggests.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts