ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some good info last time a posted this...
but if anyone knows if I can put power steering on my 78 Z
I'll be more than happy to hear your input.
Thanx, JC

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi JC-------------Power steering on early Z's is one of those mods that requires a maximum of work and money for a very small gain, IMHO. I'm sure it can be done, but you'll wind up doing very extensive modifications to the front suspension and crossmember. I would recommend you consider using the money and energy for other more rewarding changes. Just my .02

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Roadman is probably right...but if your suspension, tie-rods,etc,etc are in excellent condition (they should be...it's YOUR life!!!) you don't really need power steering...or add a really BIG steering wheel...or join a gym... :eek:)

·
Registered
881 Posts
best power steering

is a set of HUGE FOREARMS!!! The early z's wouldn't feel right and the crossmember engineering would be too much to make it worth it. IT can be done but you'd need to take a 79-83 crossmember and pinion and mount it in the bay and then put the pumps in and the zx was wider so the arms won't work. The list goes on from there.... Just go work out.. get some forearms like popeye and impress the ladies that you can crack walnuts in your elbow :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: best power steering

No powerstering on Early Z. Try Using drag lite front runners that might make it light as long you don't take hard turns..

N/c

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: best power steering

With proper lubrication and steering components that are in good condition, the early Z cars do not need power steering. These are very light cars and one of the joys of driving them is the excellent steering feel and road handling qualities.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
i remember that post

it was a guy down under that had it on his. it was installed before he bought
the car. he said it had a zx pump and what he thought was a volvo power rack

·
Registered
359 Posts
Re: i remember that post

Yeah thats me
260Z, 280zx motor and power steering

its not 280zx p/s rack
the cross member is different to stock 260z
rack still no clues but ive been told possibly volvo

a Z wrecker inspected it a few days ago and said it looked factory...but i doubt it.

I'll get my mates digital camera and takes some snaps this weekend...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.