ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had this part powdercoated, along with a bunch of other engine parts. The guys messed up (I think) because they sprayed this whole unit instead of masking it off like they did all the other parts. So now I got a mounting bucket that is completely red.

My question is this: Should I grind off the powdercoat where the gaskets are supposed to go? Or can I just put gaskets on it and forget about it.

The worst that could happen is that it will leak, which will be apparent real fast. Then, I'd have to remove the part and grind it -- right?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Powder coat is only 3 mils thick and can take up to 350 degs and brake fluid can't hurt it so I don't think coolant will hurt it and you motor is overheated around 240 degs... I would say go for it and watch for any leaks chances are you will not get any... That is why I got my own kit to do this you can count on anyone else now days... IMO

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Also, I learned that the cousin of a friend of mine bought a powdercoating system. He will give me a "family price" any future work.

If you dipped a block, could you powder coat it as well? How about transmission cover and driveshaft and on back?

I really like the look and finish of my newly finished parts..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Cyind

I had a look at those powdercoating sets and they look good! which one did you get, how much was it and how easy/difficult is the process. Also did you need other equipment?? tell us more!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
My hotcoat kit was 179 when I got it plus I vae ordered about 200 more in plugs. wire, cups, tips, and more colors and chems. I have a 25 gal 6 HP compressor (400 with hoses and extras). Also the IR kit was about 450. Plus I use my oven in my apt... Doh, until I get a house then I get an old oven cheap (25 to 50) and a sandblaster... It is easy to do just takes time....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.