ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or do they get too hot for regular powdercoating? I know they have "jetcoating" for headers, but I was thinking about painting them in another color than silver or black.....

·
Registered
928 Posts
I powercoated the exhaust pipes on my motorcycle and the paint up by the engine lasted all of about 20 seconds, before it burned off.

Bruce83

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
powder coating and ceramic couating are two different things. Jet coating is ceramic coating and will definitely be able to withstand the temperatures!
You can even get it in different colors. I'll go with silver.
Enno

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the jetcoating on some headers in a toyota truck. They are about two years old now and still look like they did brand new! I am totally convinced that is the way to go.

Tory

·
Registered
694 Posts
In case some people weren't aware, powdercoating is a plastic powder that's melted onto a surface at moderate temperatures.

Nigel

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
A Jet-Hot alterntive...

http://www.amr-coatings.com/index.html

I found them on the web, same process as Jet-Hot, but less expensive. I had a header coated at Jet-Hot a few years ago, still looks great. May be selling it, (square port 6 to 1 Z header). Silly me has a square port head, did'nt fit too well... seems the flange on the header is kinda small for the stock gasket.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
forgot to add

All the above posts about powdercoating not sticking to headers is true. I inquired a local powdercoating shop about coating a header... was told that powdercoating will only stick to surfaces that does not get hotter than 400 deg F. If your parts gets hotter than 400, gotta use ceramic coatings!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.