ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know the pound rating for the turbo injectors and if you do could you
please help me out iplan on doing some mods to my 83 zxt and i plan on using
ford injectors thank you for your help

·
Registered
532 Posts
The stock turbo injectors are about 26lbs/hr. That is really quite small for a turbo engine. The only larger Ford injectors are the 30# and 36#. To get cc/min, multiply by 10.5. This means that even the "big" 36# injectors are only 378cc/min. That is pretty weak if you are going for major upgrades. However, that doesn't mean that you need all that fuel. The best thing to do is decide on a HP level, and get injectors rated for that HP. To calculate injector size:

pounds of fuel per hour per injector=(expected bhp x .55)/number of injectors.

If you want 400hp, the the injector you will need for a 6 cylinder is 36.6lbs/hr. However, that is at 100% duty cycle. What you want is about a 40# injector for that HP level. So if you are looking for 300hp, then you will need 27.5lbs/hr @ 100% duty. You will really want the 30# injectors.

I used the 30# Ford injectors for quite a while, 'till I found out that the engine was running way too lean. I switched to 42# and the difference in power was amazing. Also, I could run more boost as a result. The 42#ers I'm using are from 2nd gen RX-7 non-turbos. I collected 6 of them at the junkyard.

Many of the guys running turbos on this and other forums are using 550cc/min injectors. This equates to about 52.38 lbs/hr. Thats pretty good. Other guys are using injectors larger than that, but they are also making the big HP #'s (600+).

Also keep in mind that if you are using the stock f/i system, the computer will not automatically compensate for the larger injectors. You will need to either dial up the AFM, or recalibrate the ECU. Good luck!!!

Ian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.