ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would offer some cheap advice to Z owners. I recently saw a $6 battery mat in the Victoria Parts catalog that supposedly absorbs any leaking sulfuric acid. This is a good thing. I have seen many nice Zs that lack rust in many areas except for under the battery. Sometimes this rust damage is extensive, even with low mileage Zs that have been "stored" for several years (with a leaking battery). I doubt todays maintenance-free batteries will leak like the original batteries, but if this mat works as indicated, it's very cheap protection. Too bad is wasn't a standard item 20+ years ago. Well, that's my two cents worth of advice on Memorial Day.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
This may start some discussion, but I don't understand how a mat that absorbs sulfuric acid is good. To my thinking, this would keep the acid in contact with the metal longer. Of course if the mat is saturated with a neutralizing agent for the acid, then it would be a different story. My 76 has the plastic tray with the drain line, and zero rust under the battery. My 2 cents. Happy Memorial Day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.