ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea for converting the 85mph digital gauges. Have it set at km/h, this will allow it to go into the hundreds. What I need to know is if there is a way to recalibrate it so that when in km/h it is actually indicating mph. Then I could cover up where it says km/h on the guage. Is t it possible to recalibrate it this much? Just an idea anyways.

Leslie L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
Re: yes, it is possible.

This same thing is common in the Grand National crowd. Basically you get an adapter box that changes the speed of your cable. Usually fits where the cable comes out of the transmission. You will have to get the ratio right, but a pretty simple install. Since the zx doesn;t have a speed sensor it won't cause any problems. Try a speedometer repair shop or a trucking supply company. The adapter box is common on low geared trucks. I've suggested this before to people looking to do what you want, but have never found out if they did it. I have a 240, so take my advice for what it's worth.
greg
71 240z

> I had an idea for converting the 85mph
> digital gauges. Have it set at km/h, this
> will allow it to go into the hundreds. What
> I need to know is if there is a way to
> recalibrate it so that when in km/h it is
> actually indicating mph. Then I could cover
> up where it says km/h on the guage. Is t it
> possible to recalibrate it this much? Just
> an idea anyways.

> Leslie L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: yes, it is possible.

Are you sure the turbo models don't have a speed sensor?
Their ECU is completly different from the non-turbo.
> This same thing is common in the Grand
> National crowd. Basically you get an adapter
> box that changes the speed of your cable.
> Usually fits where the cable comes out of
> the transmission. You will have to get the
> ratio right, but a pretty simple install.
> Since the zx doesn;t have a speed sensor it
> won't cause any problems. Try a speedometer
> repair shop or a trucking supply company.
> The adapter box is common on low geared
> trucks. I've suggested this before to people
> looking to do what you want, but have never
> found out if they did it. I have a 240, so
> take my advice for what it's worth.
> greg
> 71 240z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Re:The car shouldn't be driven over 85. N/C

> I had an idea for converting the 85mph
> digital gauges. Have it set at km/h, this
> will allow it to go into the hundreds. What
> I need to know is if there is a way to
> recalibrate it so that when in km/h it is
> actually indicating mph. Then I could cover
> up where it says km/h on the guage. Is t it
> possible to recalibrate it this much? Just
> an idea anyways.

> Leslie L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: yes, it is possible.

> The turbos do have a speed sensor. Be
> careful.

The speedometer cable goes directly into the back of the digital gauges. So if I convert to analog guages(which is what I really want to do BTW) from a non-turbo model, and the turbos do have a speed sensor, will it not work right? Is the sensor in the guage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
Re: where is it?

> The turbos do have a speed sensor. Be
> careful.

Back when I was going to do a stock conversion on my 240 I thought I checked out the wiring pretty thoroughly. The sensor has to be in the gauge if there is one, but I don't think I saw one and the manual didn't reference one. Plus I don't know what purpose it would serve. No lockup convertors or things such as that. Many a 240 have been converted to a turbo system, and I know the sensor (if there is one) didn't get accounted for in the conversion. My vote is still to do it. Even if there is a speed sensor it must not serve any useful function.
greg
71 240z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
There is a speed sensor

The speedometer cable goes into the back of the odometer. There is a 2 inch diameter wheel with notches on it. THe speed sensor is like a u shaped unit that the wheel goes between. There are 4 wires coming out of the unit. the colors are red,green,yellow, black. Two of the wires are for the speedometer. the other two are for the cruise control and voice warning unit. Even if you did change to kilometers it will still stop at the equivalent tof 85 mph.

hope this helps you out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re:The car shouldn't be driven over 85. N/C

Hey, you were the one who took me for a ride in your Z on the freeway at 90+. :) Remember? I think I've only had mine up to 120 with a friend from work. He now knows Z's are fast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: There is a speed sensor

> The speedometer cable goes into the back of
> the odometer. There is a 2 inch diameter
> wheel with notches on it. THe speed sensor
> is like a u shaped unit that the wheel goes
> between. There are 4 wires coming out of the
> unit. the colors are red,green,yellow,
> black. Two of the wires are for the
> speedometer. the other two are for the
> cruise control and voice warning unit. Even
> if you did change to kilometers it will
> still stop at the equivalent tof 85 mph.

> hope this helps you out.

Yes it would stop at the equivalant of 85mph which would be over 100 km/h. I don't know exactly what it is off hand. The idea is that it will go beyond 100. Then recalibrate it so that when in km/h it is actually indicating mph. The voice warning unit one could be disabled, but cruise control may be a problem. Say going 65mph, cruise control might not work because the sensor would think the car is going only 30mph or so, and cruise control doesn't work at low speeds. But I don't have cruise control on my car, so...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top