ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 280ZX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that some people have complaints about shift quality- that issue aside, are there any upsides to swapping a non-turbo 280ZX stock transmission for a T5? I'm guessing the driveshaft is a different length and shifter mounting position must be slightly different. Does the turbo driveline from the engine to the diff swap in directly?

I'm just wondering if from parts availability and durability points of view if this is something worth considering as my FS5W71B is hashed.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
You can do the swap, but you're not really getting any upside other than that of another transmission in your car. If the one you have is shot, then I can see the need for a swap, however it may not be worth going to the T5. You will need the bigger driveshaft and I believe the speedo cog in the trans will be incorrect and will result in inaccurate readings. But you can still get new cogs and swap them out. The T5 is basically a beefed up mustang gearbox mated with the nissan bell housing in order to fit to the L28. It's not a bad transmission, but people have their own thoughts about it.
I personally, don't care for it much (the Nissan version) but I have my reasons- my 84 AE 300zx turbo came with one and it has a crappy shifter housing plate design. The gearing feels like any other transmission to me, but if you look at the numbers they all vary. Personally, I favor a late 82 or 83 Non-turbo Nissan transmission... you get the close-ratio shifting spread and a taller 5th. It should be what you have in there right now. You could look at sending it to Zcar source of AZ and having them rebuild it or just buy one from them. Kinda pricey but it is an option. Or you can do what most do and just find one from another doner car and hope it doesn't have problems. If you really want the T-5 then go for it.

Bon

·
Registered
1982 280ZX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for confirming a few things I've seen here and there on the net. Yes, I have the FS5W71B from 1982, so in theory it's one of the preferred ones. Mine has the crunchy sounds of a shredded bearing- presumably it'll be one of the 2 in the "adapter plate" or center plate or whatever Nissan calls it. The rebuild kit should be on my front porch today, so I guess I'll tear into it and try to save the one I have.

I'd love to have it rebuilt but I can't justify that at the moment. I was looking for a way to get an inexpensive transmission in the car to get it roadworthy right away but it looks like when you consider all the costs and issues, the $100 rebuild kit is probably my best option. I've rebuilt a few engines before so I'm hoping there won't be any crazy surprises. Anyway, nothing to lose right? Can't drive the car as is! Just need to find a very tall hydraulic press. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Look around on youtube, there are a couple of rebuild videos that are very helpful. One is by a Japanese chap so the audio is not helpful, but you can see everything he does. There's a way around not having a tall press.

·
Registered
1982 280ZX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've found 3 videos and I've watched them all. As someone else pointed out somewhere, there's helpful info in all of them, although none of them are perfect. I have the Haynes manual (which I was surprised to find had the full rebuild procedure- seems to me they don't do that anymore, they just say "remove and take to a transmission shop") and I'd like to find the FSM somewhere but haven't looked very hard for that yet.

Other than the obvious sheer parts count, I don't see anything troubling at all other than the fact that it looks super clumsy to work with. And I don't have a big vise and I don't have a press at all, but obviously a really tall press would make the job much easier I think, so that's what I'm looking for now. Princess Auto has zero stock nationwide on the press I was going to buy... so looking at other options now.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think Xenon has your FSM:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts