ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I began porting and polishing my heads today, I used the new gaskets to scribe the lines, then used a carbide bit to rough cut the new diameter, then I proceded to use a large stone tool to clean up the rough cut.
I bought a kit from the Eastwood company that included 80 grit, 120 grit, 240 grit and 320 grit cones and cylinders and a 3 inch mandrel. This worked great! I highly recomend using this kit.
To finesh it off I bought a set of felt bobs and polishing compound. This made the finesh look like glass, and this is what you want, for superior flow. Here are some before and after pics.

Sry for the lousy quality pics

How much power do u guys think I will gain from doing this with a naturally aspirated engine? Of course im going to port match the exhaust manifolds and intake manifold.

Post Edited (Apr 20, 4:22pm)

·
Registered
880 Posts
awesome, are you going to flow test/dyno this set-up?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Why port match the exhaust manifold when you can just get headers that will flow better. As for the intake manifold it's my understanding that it's a waste of time unless you can get the insides. Thats why Engloid made his plenums but cutting them open, gutting them, and then welding it all back up. As for your heads good job, although I thought you need a flow bench to do a correct port and polish job to make sure you didn't disrupt flow. As for hp gains who knows. A lot is going to depend on if you did it correctly or not, by that I mean if you made flow better or worse (where the flow bench is needed). Also I don't think anyone has ever posted before and after dyno results of a port and polish job on a 300zx n/a before so hopefully you have a before dyno already done so that way you can tell us what gains you got.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on getting headers at some point but i just dont have the money right now, being a college student and all. And unfortunatly I havnt had the car dynoed before.

The machine shop that is rebuilding the heads is going to do a flowbench test.

Post Edited (Apr 20, 2:02pm)

·
Registered
248 Posts
i did a port and polish proffessionaly on my n/a with cams at the same time and headers and ****...much quicker...but you wont notice anything from that alone sorry to tell you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.