ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to a guy that said he could port and polish my head on my 76 280z for $150 bucks is this a good deal.he said he could do the intake to for 15 dollars more.how do you do the intake.well he has a flow table and did a nice job on my friend mustang heads.the mustang run just under 10's in the 1/4 mile so he must do some thing right.how much of a performance gain is there with porting and polishing.thank for any input

· Registered
5,829 Posts
That is 25.95 for the first port, and the second port is free. LOL No you can look at about 500-700 for a complete head job, surface and valve grind with the porting and polish.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
I agree with Jeff P.

5-700 is a minimum for someone with the least bit of L-Engine Head Knowledge. The V-8 guys know V-8's, but for the most part, they know the tricks for engines that shift in the 5000 rpm range normally. The L-Engine ported will shift in the 6500 to 7000 rpm range, and has particular tricks that make it work. The power in an L-Block is in the head. Don't send it to someone who will muck it up!
I know of people who have paid upwards of $3000 for a head prep. The head at that level is a work of art.

· Registered
567 Posts
Re:port and Polish

Real port and polish jobs start at $1500 and go up to $7500. You get what you pay for, and in the automotive aftermarket you usually get less (because the uneducated consumer doesn't know any better). If you're not filling out a page or so questionaire about your intended application beginning with the cam and induction specifics, you're dealing with port butcher, not an artisan.

Most port jobs lose power instead of making it. The factory guys weren't idiots. It takes quite a bit of experience and testing to do significantly better.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
No argument here Katman!

The head I was referring to was done back in the late 80's by Electromotive, and was $3500 complete. I shudder when I think what a similar job would cost today. Sometimes my estimates on cost are a bit dated...
By the way: "Port Matching" is NOT the same as "Port and Polishing"

Just about anyone can port match, but making real power entails much more than that...

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Re: No argument here Katman!

Take it to the shop with a flow bench so you can see the result. $3k isn't worth the money for a street car because yo'll never turn your engine to 8000rpm. The fast street car needs good response and mid torque. match port polished and shaved pocket will do the job.

· Registered
567 Posts
Re: No argument here Katman!

Since you mentioned flowbench, a lot of people don't realize that steady state flow, like that measured by a flowbench, has very limited relation to the dynamics that occur in running engines. Many top builders threw their flowbench away long ago, because there's only so much you can learn with one. Real power lurks in other places....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.