ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there are Porsche rims that fit on four lug Zs? (mine's a 77) Obviously they are rear wheel drive. If I went to four to five stud adapters what offset would would still fit? A good question for you mathematicians. To throw a twist in it, my flares are already "rolled-back" enough to fit 235/60/r14's. Barely! Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: You want to do WHAT????

I have a L28ET In my '77 and need more traction. The widest I can get on my 7"x14" is the 235's and they are of the lowest quality. I want Z rated tires and for that you need to go at least to 15" or more for a reasonable selection of rubber. Porsches are set up with the rubber I want OE. What's so crazy about that? Perhaps you enjoy having gobs of unusable power, but I would like to get my power to the ground.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: You want to do WHAT????</b>

Tyler:

I can understand the concern about getting the ponies to the ground. I can understand wanting larger tires. I can also understand wanting better tire selection.

But....

If your car is so strong... your power need so high... why don't ya cut the fenders and put on a set of flairs. Do it right. Put some nice tires and wheels on it and off ya go. Any kind of wheel adapter is going to cost you space.... not decrease it.

As for putting Z rated OE porsche rims on it.... O'yea.. that would be the cats meow... surely, your interested in giving me a good laugh.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Porsche rims?</b>

I wont chastise you like Dennis. What you do is your own business, BUT! Why are you set on Porsche rims? Getting used OEM rims is just as expensive as buying new aftermarket rims unless you get lucky to find a good deal. I bought four 15x7 Optimas similar to whats on the cover of Motorsport Auto car for $200. New! Dont bother with spacers or any crap like that. There are plenty of aftermarket reardrive offset rims out there. Porsche does after all have their wheels made by an outside supplier so what the difference? They all hold together quite well under normal and spirited driving. If you are into road racing or dragging then go to Weld Racing and get some Ultralites, or even Panasport minilites.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
So, Tyler, do you like being ridiculed? I've owned a Porsche and Z cars--trust me, best bang for the buck is a Z. Why not take Z alloys and have them refinished (or do it yourself--I did) in a custom way. You retain the brand purity and help your craving for something different.
Or, do it your way and be a squirrel.
kbyrd 82ZX

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>May be able to use 914 rims?</b>

I just looked at the rims on a Porsche 914 and they seem to have the same diameter around the lugs (by the way they are 4 lugged). The aluminum oem rims on the 914-6 are very good looking rims. They are very skinny though and probably will not do you any better than the stock rims your now running. 924 rims, which are also 4 lugged, have the wrong offset.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Porsches, Z-cars and wheels

I think aftermarket wheels are your best bet. Most Porsche wheels are 5 lug, and those that aren't are not that wide. While I don't have any wheels to sell, I'd gladly sell you my Porsche.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Porsches, Z-cars and wheels

The 914 4 cyl version ran 4 lug wheels, the 914-6 had 5 lug wheels the way I understand it. Not sure of the bolt circle, my books are at home, but the 4 lug rims might work. You should take some good measurements first and see what you need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.