Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. What is the firing order of the L6?

2. Which way does the dizzy rotor rotate? (Looking down on it - not from inside the block!)

3. Where SHOULD the rotor be pointed when #1 is at TDC between compression and power stroke? Describe position in terms of the 'o:clock' while looking down on the dizzy from the left side of the car. Where is the marking on the dizzy to indicate this position?

4. When you pull the dizzy at #1 TDC as above, what is the PROPER angle of the dizzy driver tang on the gear drive shaft shared by the oil pump? Should the small or the large half-moon recess be facing forward?

5. (Bonus question!) On your own Z, does the dizzy line up as it SHOULD, or if it does not, do you know where it does line up?

Happy Holidays!
Best regards!
:-D
Later ---------- Al

·
Registered
507 Posts
1. 1-5-3-6-2-4
2. as said in the Haynes manual - "anti-clockwise"
3. if you are looking down at it from the front of the car. It sits near the 6 o'clock position. Fron the left it is at 9 o'clock. I have a mark on the cap ( I know that's cheating)
4.perpendicular to the length of the block. The large half is facing the front (I think)
5. mine points somewhere between 9 and 10.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1. 153624
2. counterclockwise
3. about 9:00
4. fat end facing BACK, not towards the front of the car.
5. Mine is perfect, thank you, were it should be!
andrew
73 240z
82 zx

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WHAT !?? More expert opinions needed!!

Are not all L6 Z dizzies similarly oriented ??? Have I erred???

On my stock 260Z w/ dizzy drive properly aligned (I think?) the #1 plug wire position on the dizzy cap is at about the 6:30 or 7:00 position (looking down from left side of car).

WHAT IS THIS STORY ABOUT #1 AT 9:00 ?? You mean 9:00 such that 12:00 is towards the front of the car and 6:00 is towards the rear ?? I said - looking down from left side of the car - this puts 9:00 towards front and 3:00 towards back. (This is consistent with following instructions from FSM.)

Per 260 FSM "Install oil pump together with drive spindle so that the projection on its top is located at the 11:25 am position, at this point, the SMALLER bow-shape will be faced toward the FRONT." (Fig. EM-105)

There are probably multiple positions of the dizzy drive shaft that will allow proper operation of the ignition. #1 may be at any distributor cap outlet as long as the rotor is pointed there when #1 is at TDC power stroke. The two problems with not having the dizzy set per FSM are:
1) You may likely not get good adjustability of the dizzy timing - the dizzy timing adjustment lock bolt may get 'bolt-bound' at the end of the adjustment slot.
2) If some poor ******* (maybe you or maybe the next guy) takes loose the spark plug wires from the dizzy cap without paying attention to where they came from, he's gonna be very confused until he removes valve cover, rotates engine to #1 firing position (cam lobes up and timing mark aligned on pulley) and identifies the #1 position by where the rotor is pointing. At this point, if it's not per the book he (you) would be well advised to drop the oil pump and adjust the gear properly!

Everyone who knows where their dizzy cap #1 plug wire position is gets a silver star!
Gold star to everyone who passes knows that AND has there #1 located at 6:30 (looking down from the left side) !!

"F" to everyone else! Recommend you failures run - don't walk - to inspect your dizzy cap wiring and record your dizzy cap plug wire locations someplace where you can find it when you really need it! Make a note of "1-5-3-6-2-4" and "CCW" also!

:-D
Later --------------- Al

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more reason...

to properly align your dizzy:
3) The rotor may not be optimally aligned so with the cap so that it may open up a spark gap inside the dizzy under mechanical or vacuum advance. This would be indicated by arcing at the leading or trailing edge of the rotor conductor tip.

Later!
Al

·
Registered
181 Posts
poo on me

My wife drove the Z to work tonight so it's not outside for me to go check... Do I get an honorary A? (I'll accept a C). :)

Shayne

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Re: WHAT !?? More expert opinions needed!!

Well you have already received the correct answer on the firing order, and I really don't want to pull the dizzy to answer the FAT part of the half moon, but I will answer the question as to how it is on my 72. There should be a mark on the dizzy cap on the #1 post on the side. I can't say whether my cap is OEM or was a BAP/GEON or a Echlin, but it has a raised ridge right next to (above) the forward cap clip. The timing is set per factory spec (5d advance) and the timing tab on the dizzy is one mark to the advanced side of the center mark. The #1 points more toward 8:00 than 6:30. #5 is closer to 6:30. This is standing on the left side of car with left foot right in front of the l/f tire. This also places the vac advance pointing just about at your left foot. Original owner, chain or oil pump never removed, so this is how it came from factory.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Re: Distributors?

Distributors? We don need no stinkin' distributors!

- John (a DTA Fast P8Pro kinda guy)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: poo on me

Im not sure if this means i fail or not....but what the **** is a dizzy? cause all the talk about it is making me just that.....Dizzy

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.