ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Factory wheels on my 83 280 ZX need Polishing. I have the Busch kit. The wheels look and feel like they are clear coated. Is this standard? And does anyone have any suggestions on how to stip it off so I can buff the wheels?
Thanks
Gil

·
Registered
205 Posts
> The Factory wheels on my 83 280 ZX need
> Polishing. I have the Busch kit. The wheels
> look and feel like they are clear coated. Is
> this standard? And does anyone have any
> suggestions on how to stip it off so I can
> buff the wheels?
> Thanks
> Gil
gil,
get a can of aircraft stripper from a automotive paint supply store. make sure your centercaps are off and you have gloves on. do this outside, as the stuff is NOXIOUS. just slowly brush the stuff on and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. all of the clearcoat will gel up and can be hosed off. and yes that is factory clearcoating. once they are clean, use 2000 grit emory paper with a soapy (ivory) solution to sand off heavy corrosion or rough spots. now you can use the kit as the instructions say. you really need a drill that will turn at least 2000 rpms to make this as painless as possible. once you've finished, the rough area in the middle of each spoke will have polish all over it. use laquer thinner with a very soft brush and it will clean right off. good luck.
andy,
ps if you have questions, email me because i taught myself how to polish all types of metal after paying to many people too much money.
email is [email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I'm also interested in doing this, but have a couple questions.

Whats the Busch kit? Aluminum polish and a buffing wheel?

econd question, should I really do this without tires, or do you think I can get it good enough with the tires on the wheels?

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kordon - Re: Polishing Factory Wheels

> I'm also interested in doing this, but have
> a couple questions.

> Whats the Busch kit? Aluminum polish and a
> buffing wheel?

> econd question, should I really do this
> without tires, or do you think I can get it
> good enough with the tires on the wheels?

> thanks
Kordon, Motorsport sells the Busch kit which includes a cleaning solution, two grades of polishing compond, and two buffing wheels. I could not find the kit anywhere else. The spokes on my wheels are the worst, so I was not going to remove the tire - just take the wheel off the car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Kordon - Re: Polishing Factory Wheels

> Kordon, Motorsport sells the Busch kit which
> includes a cleaning solution, two grades of
> polishing compond, and two buffing wheels. I
> could not find the kit anywhere else. The
> spokes on my wheels are the worst, so I was
> not going to remove the tire - just take the
> wheel off the car.

I went thru this procedure last summer after purchasing a quad of 81-83 six spoke factory alloys from a U pull it type yard ($7.50 ea !).
They were really grungy, had corrosion and what appeared to be imbedded brake dust and black corrosion.( These were for my 72 which had 7 rims and tires which rubbed the wheel wells). I thought it would be easy to refurb them. Checked with several Refinishers and they quoted 35 to 65 bucks each to refinish...! Went to auto paint store and he told me they had the supplies and overcoat paint etc.. etc.. however mixing reducer thinner etc and overcoat (minimum purchasable amounts) would have cost 60-70 bucks ! So, I went to Home Depot and bought epoxy paint remover, buffer wheels, found CLEAR HIGH TEMP engine paint at NAPA auto parts. I already had the emery paper , buffing wheels, and buffing compound (white).
After about two hours of work on each wheel, I have a beautiful set of wheels. This MUST be done with the tires off the wheel. Final buffing is done with each wheel mounted on the front of a raised Z, to take advantage of wheel spin and buffer wheel action. Total cost for all 4 wheels -
about $15 and 8 hours work. Good luck.

G

·
Re: Kordon - Re: Polishing Factory Wheels

I did mine with the tires on with the kit you are talking about. The the clear coat remover did not hurt the tires, nor did the buffing compounds. My wheels were bad, when I was done people would come over and say how great the wheels looked ( I tried to point out the perfect new red paint job but they loved the wheels). The rims looked chromed. They never looked this good, even new. It is worth the time to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.