Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Just wondering if Zs have every been used as police cars? I saw someone in here say that their car was originally a police interceptor. I'm from California, and every police car I have ever seen is an American car. Just wondering to what extent (if any) Zs have been used as police cars?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Hey,
> Just wondering if Zs have every been used as
> police cars? I saw someone in here say that
> their car was originally a police
> interceptor. I'm from California, and every
> police car I have ever seen is an American
> car. Just wondering to what extent (if any)
> Zs have been used as police cars?

The police versions were made in tokyo I think. any way you can check it out here. use the scroll bar to scan to the z history section.
JN

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The Japanese used some of the special z's as police interceptor cars. They had a 4.43 rearend and I believe they had the 2000 motor in them. 2.0L straight 6 with the Hemi dual overhead cam head. Here is the car and motor if you would like to check it out. Go to
www.zhome.com
on the left hand side, scroll down and click on Fairlady Z 432

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monster Motor!

Wow!
Dual overhead cam hemi head inline 6! Yikes! Along with Nissans, I'm a big Mopar fan, and you just don't get a more powerful motor than a Hemi! Chrystler designed an overhead cam 426 Hemi for NASCAR, but NASCAR didn't approve of it because it would make the cars go waaaay too fast. In fact, they started putting special restrictions on big motors like the Hemi around that same time too.
Sorry to go off about non-Nissans. I was just very impressed with the hemi motor they showed for the Japaneze interceptors.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
F.H.P has one

I remember seeing one in the first or second issue of ZCM ( it might be later than that). I believe it was part of a drug bust or something. Anyway it was painted up in the traditional Florida highway patrol yellow and black.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: Police Intereceptor Z maybe, but not a turbo.

> Hey,
> Just wondering if Zs have every been used as
> police cars? I saw someone in here say that
> their car was originally a police
> interceptor. I'm from California, and every
> police car I have ever seen is an American
> car. Just wondering to what extent (if any)
> Zs have been used as police cars?

It is possible that various police units had the Z as a car. But, from what I heard from police, and seen with my own eyes, I have good reason to firmly believe that they would not have turbos.

The Dallas police dept, confinscated a Mustang GT, with a Paxton charger, and a Camaro with a custom twin turbo set up. Both were confinscated at the local races one night, after a huge bust of illegal weapons, at the races. Both cars were 11 second cars, according to the police reports.

The first thing that they did to both cars was remove the chargers. According to the patrol officers my car club has talked too, the chargers are too much maintenaince(?spellling) for the P.D. The dependibility of the cars is taken away, and there are too many more parts for a Police Dept. to deal with. Kinda like solving a problem before it arises.

Although the cars were super fast, the went ahead and removed the chargers, and then used them as highway patrol, and traffic patrol.

I've also seen in the past, in Mustang Magazine, where a Florida P.D. confinscated a few mustangs, and they also removed the chargers off of those cars. Those were also taken from some street racers.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not too surprising

Well, it would be cool to see the police really soup up some of their interceptors, but in reality that's not the point. The cop's job is not to catch up to every person trying to outrun them, if they did that they'd put themselves in a lot more danger and be more likely to get both cop and bad guy in a big accident, or worse, get a bystander killed. They catch people by organized cooperation. Yeah, the cars have to be fast enough that people don't laugh at them, and expecially out in the middle of nowhere like Nevada you need to have fast patrol cars. But I totally understand why the cops don't put superchargers and turbos on their cars.

I didn't know the police use confiscated cars as patrol car material. That would be funny if somebody smuggling drugs hid them so well that they didn't find them on inspection, and then later when it's a patrol car they find it.

I wonder if the LAPD has a Ford Bronco that was origninally white, just clean a little blood off the driver's door and it would make a good police truck. Hehe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.