ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know what you guys think of my 3.1 junkyard dog post dowm below A . try it , it might work B . try it , it might blow up C . i'm craaaaaaaaaaaazzzy D . need to get better education E . Youve broken two cranks already why not go for three!!! F . I need to forget it and just run another 2.8 block and this time keep revs to 7500 and no more speedshifting!! Please post your responses below THANKS A ZZZZZILLION FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DUH i should have called it a 2.9 SORRY

> Need to know what you guys think of my 3.1
> junkyard dog post dowm below A . try it , it
> might work B . try it , it might blow up C .
> i'm craaaaaaaaaaaazzzy D . need to get
> better education E . Youve broken two cranks
> already why not go for three!!! F . I need
> to forget it and just run another 2.8 block
> and this time keep revs to 7500 and no more
> speedshifting!! Please post your responses
> below THANKS A ZZZZZILLION FOR YOUR
> REPLIES!!!
BOY don't I look like a total idiot now ,forgot this combo aint 3.1 its 2.9 Nothing like using the web to show the world how dumb you are!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: DUH i should have called it a 2.9 SORRY

Norm,
Don't build the motor with a LD crank, unless you are going to spend the money to do it right. You will not be happy. You must get a complete balance to make it work right, that includes the flywheel and balancer, and with your inteneded high rpm use, you will likely break somthing again, for strokers are known to do that.
I say overbore your current block,(if you can slavage the main bearing cap), or just buy a junk 280 motor from some pick and pull, and build it from there. You will be much happeir in the long run, and so will your wallet.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
195 Posts
> Need to know what you guys think of my 3.1
> junkyard dog post dowm below A . try it , it
> might work B . try it , it might blow up C .
> i'm craaaaaaaaaaaazzzy D . need to get
> better education E . Youve broken two cranks
> already why not go for three!!! F . I need
> to forget it and just run another 2.8 block
> and this time keep revs to 7500 and no more
> speedshifting!! Please post your responses
> below THANKS A ZZZZZILLION FOR YOUR
> REPLIES!!!

I say build it, and lets see it run!

Hey, what's the worst thing that could happen? You blow your Z engine, you have a huge fire and all of your rods break, right?

Well, I say build it up, and go for the gusto. Make it happen ,and put it on the streets. Keep the rpm at a low minimium for a while, and slowly check the barriers of the engine. If you fell something going of course at a certain rpm, check things out from there. That way you don't blow it on the first day.

Whatever you decide to do, don't go down without a fight. Let that Z engine know how's boss. If it doesn't want to be bored and stroked, blow it and get a new one.

With the loose cap fittings, wouldn't it be a wise idea to get a block out of a junkyard or something? Better yet, why don't you start with a new one from Nissan? Sure, you'll blow the warranty, just as fast as you blow the engine, but hey what's a few grand here and there. (LOL)

Good luck,
Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Re: DUH i should have called it a 2.9 SORRY

> Norm,
> Don't build the motor with a LD crank,
> unless you are going to spend the money to
> do it right. You will not be happy. You must
> get a complete balance to make it work
> right, that includes the flywheel and
> balancer, and with your inteneded high rpm
> use, you will likely break somthing again,
> for strokers are known to do that.
> I say overbore your current block,(if you
> can slavage the main bearing cap), or just
> buy a junk 280 motor from some pick and
> pull, and build it from there. You will be
> much happeir in the long run, and so will
> your wallet.
> -Bob Hanvey

It may run well, but it may not run long. I've peiced together some stuff I wasn't proud of and gotten away with it. But in the same turn I could have destroyed the good parts I had in it too, and been regretful. Build it to live or you won't be happy.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I once bought a 240 that didn;t run from someone who was selling it for their son and didn;t know what was wrong with it. Well, I got it home, started it and it ran, for about 20 minutes til it siezed.
Long story short, the bearings on the #5 main journal were put in backwards (fresh rebuild) and no oil got to that cylinder, causing the rod to sieze to the crank.

I was able to have a machine shop build up and remachine that journal to spec for about $150.

Take your crank to a machine shop, they can probably make it good as new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.