ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hearing a awful noise from the back end of my 1982 280ZX. After 2 opinions I was told that I need a new rear end. The shop that my father uses told me that the he could install a differental, u-joints, bearings for $862.00 the diff. would be used because nissian does not make them anymore, however he would give me a 2 year warrenty on all parts and labor. He said It would not be a bad idea to replace the struts at the same time for $200.00 making it $1062.00 is this a fair deal?
Thank You. Lisa

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i would get a few more opinions personally. the rear ends in a z are pretty solid and don't go out that often. unless of course your car is high mileage. the axle bearings usually go out first and they sound a lot like a rear end problem. this is a much cheaper fix. the u-joints may not be necessary either. it won't be any more difficult for anyone to install struts later on down the road. i would question the quality of struts installed for $200.ask what kind of struts they're installing. $862 sounds about right for the job if they are replacing the rear end, 4 u-joints and the axle bearings. i just think they're trying to sell you parts you don't need. all those parts can't all be bad if the noise just started.

-casper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Lisa this is Chris. I Just installed a used rear end in my 240Z (an R200) which I bought used for $100 Cdn, a new mount from Nissan which was about $40 and labour for all of this was about $140 or 2.5 hours. Ask them for the book time on doing the rear end for your car and alsoyou can tell if you need struts if your back end seems to bounce after a bump in the road( the gas dampening isn't working anymore and the springs are taking over.) Make sure you renew the bolts that attatch your driveshaft to the differential because of metal fatigue. You can tell if the used diff is good by standing it up on end and removing the end cover, check to see if any of the teeth are blued or there are any chips. Careful not to spill the fluid it stinks. If there is any leaking around the output shafts you should replace the seals. R200 diffs are virtually bullet proof and if you can find one out of an automatic you will know it won't have been abused.(mine was, @120000 miles it looked like new)

> I was hearing a awful noise from the back
> end of my 1982 280ZX. After 2 opinions I was
> told that I need a new rear end. The shop
> that my father uses told me that the he
> could install a differental, u-joints,
> bearings for $862.00 the diff. would be used
> because nissian does not make them anymore,
> however he would give me a 2 year warrenty
> on all parts and labor. He said It would not
> be a bad idea to replace the struts at the
> same time for $200.00 making it $1062.00 is
> this a fair deal?
> Thank You. Lisa

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
casper

> i would get a few more opinions personally.
> the rear ends in a z are pretty solid and
> don't go out that often. unless of course
> your car is high mileage. the axle bearings
> usually go out first and they sound a lot
> like a rear end problem. this is a much
> cheaper fix. the u-joints may not be
> necessary either. it won't be any more
> difficult for anyone to install struts later
> on down the road. i would question the
> quality of struts installed for $200.ask
> what kind of struts they're installing. $862
> sounds about right for the job if they are
> replacing the rear end, 4 u-joints and the
> axle bearings. i just think they're trying
> to sell you parts you don't need. all those
> parts can't all be bad if the noise just
> started.

> -casper
casper
You seem to have a lot of knowledge. Can you help?
he told me that since the car has 105,000 miles on it and and it was tore apart it would be a good time to do it. he originally wanted 300.00 but I convinced him to do it for 200.00, thats just for the back ones. The fronts are not getting done. Does the whole job seem like a fair price. Please respond
Thank You.. Lisa

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: casper

the price is fair if the struts are high quality. i just question the work their doing. it's just too many parts to replace for a fairly low mileage z. the struts don't have to be done right away if you can't afford it. the struts are probably bad but it's no emergency. find a mechanic who can pinpoint the noise. he'll save you quite a bit of money.

-casper

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Lisa,

This is an admittedly biased opinion since I do almost all of my own mechanical work, but I think you're being ripped off royally. Depending on the area of the country you're in, you could probably buy an entire wrecked Z with a good differential and decent struts for $500. (My '82 parts car was $400 complete.) Take what you want off the beater, put an ad in Z-Car.com for what's left for a few hundred bucks -- and mission accomplished.

Along the same route: Don't you have any mechanically-inclined boyfriends who can do the grunt work? Buy them a six pack or two, fix them lunch and tell them it'll be a great bonding experience. Have them go a wrecking yard and get a same-year rear end -- like everyone else is saying, they hardly ever go out. It shouldn't be more than $100, and probably lots less at a self-serve yard.

One thing you might check (or get checked) first is the oil in the rear end. If you remove the threaded plug halfway up the case, oil should seep out, or you should at least be able to get some on your finger if you stick it in the hole. If you've blown a seal and the rear end is dry, that's your problem.

Bottom line: $800 is an awful lot for a rear end swap. I think it's way too much. And it might not even be the problem. Get another opinion or two, preferably from a shop that specializes in Z cars.

·
Registered
680 Posts
> I agree with every one take It to other micanics talk to some of you friends or family and ask them who do they trust and work from there some poeple like to say this need to be done and that need to be done when infact only the part that went out need to be fix. I know my micanic tell me I need some parts and I know this but I turst him. I look in the books on the car and ask here. So far he been right. If you feel strange about it dont go to them to fix it. Or that fear may or will be come a reality..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.