ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my 88 turbo for quite some time now...i have had bullshit problems with it since i got it.. the timing belt broke in the motor that was in it, the guy who was selling it had a good motor with 70 thousand miles on it so i bought it and the car for a grand great deal i know..anyways my problem is a miss...in the morning it seems to not want to acclerate then sounds erractic. after about 5 or 6 trys it cranks and i go about my bussiness.but lately i have had really cold starts and the worst i have lost alot of acceleration, i will hit the gas then it will act like it does in the morning unitil about 25 hundred rpm, then sound lopey, like it is missing..i think i am running extremely rich also i smell alot of gas..i have no catlytic converter so i dont know..i recently replaced my spark plugs which looked like they had normal wear...there was bosch in it then i replaced it with ngk. still have the same problem.i love this little car and i have put alot of hard work into it please help...

·
Registered
880 Posts
after that check fuel presure.. 30psi at idle, 44psi throttle depressed.. good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys...my fuel pressure regulator hmm...i dont know ill buy a fuel pressure tester, see what happens could the problem be my turbo failing..just a thought.ill keep everyone posted

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so that would be beetween intake pipe and the turbo i dont know ill get some carbeurtor cleaner see what happens...im going to go get an afm and a fuel pressure regulator today ill keep yall posted

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i put my hand by where the turbo is i can feel air..i think red was right..at boost situations the car ran like it was not responding as well. is my my downpipe cracked?turbo gone?or just that rubber seal..im gonna go look at it when the engine cools down...i drove it for quite some time this morning and i had no acceleration..if i cruise below 2 rpms in say 4 then try to hit the gas it sounds like it is backfiring.im really at a loss here..please help...im gonna do the ecu codes now

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
felt like a vacumn...i ran ecu codes they came up with chts fuel temp sensor and air flow meter....any suggestions

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok red still going here...the chts wasnt connected from the sub harness to the main harness.....which explains alot..my fuel pressure regulator didnt spit out fuel so my guess is good..need afm..my question is this..if the turbo was failing and becoming noisy would this cause a obstruction in the exhaust? i can see how that would make it run shitty. i dont know how that wasnt connected but i connected it and cleared the codes..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Take off the intake side tube where the turbo is. Try and spin the compressor wheel and check for shaft play. The wheel inside there should spin clean and smooth. Is there any blue or really light grey smoke coming out the exaust? If so then your oil seals gone bad and if that happens your bearings are bad. But it sounds to me if your running rich, you might have a chargepipe leak. Look at those hoses in the back of the chargepipe and see if their cracked or even there at all. Take a look at the ends of the chargepipe where it starts at the turbo and where it goes into the throttlebody. But chances are it most likely is your afm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont think it is the turbo anymore either.. i think my problem is that **** afm..i thought i could clean it with contact cleaner which i am sure didnt harm anything that wasnt already done...i can get a afm from the local u pull it but i dont know about its condition, unfortunately the nearest one is about 45 minutes away so i dont want to waste time with a bad one..its worth it i guess though..i will check the fuel pressure on the morrow

·
Registered
362 Posts
$400?!?! I only paid $186 for mine. And that was reman by A1 Cardone. But I had the same problems like your are talking about, except my car wouldn't even run with the AFM plugged up. Unplugged it, drove home REAL slow, and put a new one on. Also, while I was putting the new one on I realized that THe pipe going into the Turbo was loose, so I tightening the piss out of it, and no more probs. And I kept the old AFM just in case that pipe was the cause of the problem too begin with but I wanted a new AFM anyway so its all good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i unplugged the afm and got the results listed but if the afm was good then it would do the same with it being unplugged? right...im going to get ahold of a multimeter today too, i am at a loss here with money..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.