ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just bought my first 240Z today, all was going well until later this evening. The interior lights for the speedo, tach, temp etc are really dim.

The gauge for the Volts has no light at all. How do you replace the bulbs?? is it a question of removing the entire dash? How easy is this to do?

Is there a dimmer switch somewhere in the car that I have overlooked, which would explain the dim lights?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Look at the lower left side of the dash...is there a small knob with a universal icon for "light" ???...if so turn it...your lights MIGHT brighten up...Z-Cars are notorious for dim instrument lights...the bulbs turn dark...they are removed by reaching behind the instruments and pulling the bulb holder out...get new ones at your local Pep Boys or equivilant...and Welcome to the Wonderful World of the Z!!!... :eek:)

· Registered
6 Posts
Their is a dimmer switch under the left or right side of the steering wheel.right at the bottom side of the dash. It looks like a dash screw, black, about the same diameter of a quarter and 1/2 inch thick. One will zero your trip meter, and the other one is the dimmer. I think you have to take the dash off to replace the bulb. Not easy.
Macdatsun
240 owner
Calgary AB

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnaks for response but 1 more question.

Thank you all for the help.

I will check tonight for the dimmer switch, i think/hope that this will solve my dim bulbs.

But the problem with the Voltmeter is that there is no light at all, could someone please explain again how I go about getting to the bulb, is it a case of removing the whole dash.

Thanks a bunch.

Jules

· Registered
307 Posts
Re: Thnaks for response but 1 more question.

Jules,

I have never seen a stock 240Z with a volt meter, they have ammeter, oil, temp and fuel guages (and a clock). So, if yours has one it may be after-market. I get to my stock guages by removing the glove box. It is made of card board and will fold up for removal once you get the screws out of it. The lamps are relatively easy to get at if you are good at working by feel. If you destroy it on removal they are easily replaced.

The gauges can be removed via the glove box as well.

Good luck

RDB

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Thnaks for response but 1 more question.

Dimmer switch for the 240's is located on the lower edge of the dash, just to the right of the steering column (as you are sitting) It is a black knob that actuates a coil resistor that regulates the amount of current available to the bulbs. Since the coil is exposed to the air, and subsequent moisture etc, it WILL corrode over time, and especially if you don't adjust the brightness of your dash lights periodically.

Removing this is tricky without removing the dash since it is held in place by two sheet metal screws from the back side of the dash. You can remove the knob easy enough, just pull on it, but getting to the switch itself involves getting your hand up behind the dash and now with the screwdriver pointing DOWN to get to the screws. If you have removed your Tachometer you should be able to see the switch, and then replace or at least remove the corrosion on the surface of the coil and the contact point. Sometimes all it takes is to turn the dimmer switch several times in both directions to remove that oxidation.

Changing the bulbs can be tricky also, to change the ones on the speedometer or tachometer, I would recommend removing the instrument, and then from the front access the bulbs. One note, since these bulb connectors ground to the instrument, it is difficult to detect which one is burnt out once the instrument is out, for that get a piece of wire, attach it to ground someplace, and then touch it to the grounding contact on the side of the bulb holder and turn your lights on. You can then determine which ones need to be replaced.

To change the bulbs on the center instruments, you can either remove the tachometer or the glove box, then remove the instrument and once again access the bulb connectors. Center instruments are held in place by a bracket that has one screw holding it to the dash, and two screws that hold the bracket to the instrument.

Of course if you have really tiny hands and have two wrists and two elbows on EACH arm, you can just reach behind and snake your hand in there and make the changes. It would also help to have a pair of eyeballs in each hand.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info

Thanks alot guys.

I found the dimmer switch! Everything is a bit brighter bar the speedo, I think there must be more then 1 bulb there.

dbryan70z - your right, my mistake, its an ammeter not a volt meter. Thanks for the glove box info, thats how i'll tackle the ammeter gauge.

escanlon - thanks alot for the write up.

Does anyone know how many bulbs each of the guages take? I assume that clock, ammeter, oil (the 3 in the cluster) just take 1 and that the tacho and the speedo take 2, please advise.

Once again thanks alot.

· Registered
307 Posts
Re: Great info

240Z,

I don't have my manual handy, but as soon as they come out it will be obvious how many bulbs are there. I have never had to remove the tach or speedo and seriously doubt that the glove box access will be any use for them.

Good luck and let us know how you did. I seriously dislike going into dashes, I almost always come out looking like I lost a fight with a cat...

RDB

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whimping out on the dash!

Hi RDB,

I have decided to take the whole car to an auto electrician as there is a slight drain on the battery coming from some electronic gizomos the precvious owner had fitted.

While its there I will ask him to take a look at the bulbs.

I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome, I should be taking it to him on Saturday. (I rather he brakes somehing then me).

Regards,

Jules

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.