ZCar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have undercoating that is painted all around the rear spare and have to cut out the plate so I can access the gas sending unit. I uncovered the round area but there are no screws to remove the cap. Does anyone have a picture of what this plate looks like and where the screws are on a 1976z? Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pretty sure that you have to drop the tank.

·
Super Moderator
8 / 71 240Z, HLS30-40031, L24-052899, Sunshine Yellow
100 Posts
The sender is on the front of the tank. Look where the wires go.
It is held on by a large circular clip around the perimeter of the sending unit.
There are 4 little sheet metal prongs bent up to catch with large channel lock jaws to unscrew it 15 degrees or so. Then it will come off and you can pull the sending unit out. I made an angle iron bar to go across the sending unit and catch opposite prongs but I had to cut out a section to clear the terminals and fittings. This will make sense when you look at it. Be careful, it is just sheet metal.
I did it with the tank in place and 1/4 full or less.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have undercoating that is painted all around the rear spare and have to cut out the plate so I can access the gas sending unit. I uncovered the round area but there are no screws to remove the cap. Does anyone have a picture of what this plate looks like and where the screws are on a 1976z? Thanks
Here is the lock ring for a 240Z. The 76 uses the same type lock ring.
Orange Font Material property Bag Eyewear

Here is a tool I fabricated from a piece of angle iron to turn the lock ring. It's about 2.5 inches wide with a gap cut out to clear the terminals of the sending unit.
Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Pretty sure that you have to drop the tank.
I'm pretty sure you don't have to. The opening for the sending unit is in about the same location as the 240Z/260Z fuel tanks. I had to replace the o-ring and lock ring recently on my 240Z. All I had to do was lift the car and slide underneath the car. You can access the sending unit from directly under the car. You don't have to remove the access panel on the right rear wheel well.

However, if you want to find where the screws are for the access panels, these photos might help.
Brown Tire Automotive tire Tread Grey

Hood Automotive tire Fender Wood Rim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So access to the sending unit is not through the hatch area and its not on top of the tank?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
For the 75 and 76 280Z, this the gas tank.
Product Font Automotive design Bumper Automotive lighting

The arrow shows where the fuel sending unit (and lock ring) go.
For the 77 and 78, the tank changed to a larger capacity. This also necessitated removing the old spare tire well. The sending unit went in on the top.
Product Font Automotive design Screenshot Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep. Got to drop the tank. I initially tried accessing the tank like you. Realized shortly after that to drop the tank. Not a terrible process.

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
Yep. Got to drop the tank. I initially tried accessing the tank like you. Realized shortly after that to drop the tank. Not a terrible process.
You're sure that's on a 1976 Z? This doesn't match other comments. See post #7.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In post #7 he said that the top access is for '77/'78.

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
In post #7 he said that the top access is for '77/'78.
I also pointed out that on the 76, the access is on the front, like on a 240Z/260Z.
I just recently changed the sending unit lock ring and O-ring on a 240Z without dropping the tank. The sending unit has to come out to put on the O-ring. The sending unit location is the same on both the 240Z and the 75/76 280Z. Unless someone can tell me what is interfering with the access to the sending unit on the 75/76, I would have a hard time believing it is necessary. There is not a lot of room in the area on a 240Z because of the tank strap, but there is enough room.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts