ZCar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on facebook marketplace the other day, went and drove it, and took it home. I sold my 87 NA with ~75K the same day. This will be my daily driver.

Here's a little info on it.
112K miles
electronic climate control (works!)
Electronic shocks (works!)
digital dash (works!)
turbo/manual
no leather (but the cloth is NICE and I love the turbo stitching)
came with original options sticker from dealer, original manual/warranty guide
came with the service manual, a physical copy of the dealer repair book! I used to use the online version but now I have a physical copy! I'm stoked about that.

So here is the bad.
Accelerometer inop
Compass inop
brake light always on
washer fluid light always on (full washer container)
oil pressure gauge intermittent (sender going bad probably)
driver door clear coat is completely gone. (weird?)
trim paint is chipping like a mad man
seat lumbar inop

I've already replaced a light motor so that works as it should now.

I am hoping to find some info on the compass and accelerometer gauges. I have found a ton of info on how to calibrate the compass, but what if it's not working at all besides the backlight coming on? The backlight does come one so it's getting power, voltage is at the harness too. I've got a spare gauge cluster from my project 84 AE with the same symptoms, the arrows do not light up, the mpgs don't show any numbers ever and no accelerometer activity. My spare is not a known good though, but the same thing happens in both my 84 project and my 86. My 84 is not a good test bed as I know there are some electrical issues but it's all I got for testing currently. What is my next step in testing do you think?

brake light always on.... most likely the switch at the emergency brake? to get to it I have to pull up the carpet?

washer light always on, There is a sensor on the tank I assume?

seat air bags for lumbar and front don't seem to hold air, the pumps work though, at least they make sound. Are those replaceable or do I need to replace the whole seat?

Thanks for the help, hope you think it was a good buy!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
so here is the bad.
Accelerometer inop
compass inop - i believe the power unit for this and the ^^^^ is mounted in the back behind the seats or wheel well area. You should check this.
brake light always on
washer fluid light always on (full washer container)
oil pressure gauge intermittent (sender going bad probably) this is common. Check the sender and replace with oem
driver door clear coat is completely gone. (weird?) probably gonna need paint.
trim paint is chipping like a mad man probably gonna need paint eventually. You have the black trim, i take it?
seat lumbar inop

brake light always on.... Most likely the switch at the emergency brake? To get to it i have to pull up the carpet?
easy fix. The rubber grommet up behind the brake pedal is worn or broken, so now nothing is keeping the plunger compressed and the brake lights are remaining on while you're not in the car with your foot on the pedal. Look on the floor and you just might find the little pieces. You can get the rubber grommets new here: www.nissanpartsdeal.com get the ones for the clutch/cruise control while you're at it, cause once they're gone, you won't have cruise. While you're waiting for these, you can put a temp fix on it. Get some foam weather-stripping with backside adhesive or something similar from ace, home depot, or any hardware store, and put it up in there.... Just something to block the pedal plunger. If you are really ghetto, you could probably get away with using gum, hehe. Be prepared to scold your car with a few descriptive words as getting up under the dash in these things is not a fun time and also be sure to have a flash light and the right tools with you before you dive in.

washer light always on, there is a sensor on the tank i assume? i think there is a sensor that may be corroded or disconnected. Pull the bottle and take a look underneath it.

seat air bags for lumbar and front don't seem to hold air, the pumps work though, at least they make sound. Are those replaceable or do i need to replace the whole seat? i've never had issues with this so i can't comment. Try the website above for parts.

head over to www.xenonzcar.com and read up on the z31 sections and also get to the FSM and download it. It will cover all your systems and components. Cheers with your new z.

thanks for the help, hope you think it was a good buy!

depends, how much did you pay for it? I am still asking myself the same thing about my 84 AE.... :wink

Bon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I paid $3350 for it.

I am sorry I should have been more clear, the brake warning light is always on, well, was. Yesterday while going through the FSM (I have physical copy, came with car!) I realized the brake warning light is not just for the emergency brake, it's for your brake fluid too. It was on the min line so I put more in and the light went out. My 84 ae has the brake lights being on issue, I thought it was electrical but I believe this grommet is the culprit. I think I am just gonna scrap the 84 ae. Part it out. I don't think it's in good enough shape, and is worth more in parts.

There is two washer containers which I was a little surprised to see. I did not know it had two separate. I don't see why they did that. Does the warning light pull data from both containers or just one? I'm gonna have to see if I can find data on that.

Thanks for the info on the power unit for the center gauges. I'm going to investigate.

Yes, black painted trim. yes, the door will need painted. Blah I wonder If I should just get the whole car repainted....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys think 50th anniversary rims would look ok on my 86? I'm afraid the gold will look funny, but I have a set and I want to put them on it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If there's a tank in the front bumper, that is for the headlight washers. The tank by the brake fluid reservoir should have a sensor on the bottom. Unplug it. Let me know if the light goes out.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Do you guys think 50th anniversary rims would look ok on my 86? I'm afraid the gold will look funny, but I have a set and I want to put them on it.

gold is good, but what color is your car? even if you have the chrome trim, gold always goes well with black, blue, white, and brown.
what makes them suit the AE is the two-tone black that adorns the bottom, the gold pin striping and the emblems and turbo decals. though the car is pewter metallic silver, the black makes the gold features really pop.
the 84 anniversary wheels are bigger than the normal wheels on the 86 and 87 non-turbo, so I think, size-wise they would look better.
throw them on there and see for yourself how they look.

Bon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to unplug the washer sensor, no more annoying light!

The rims are not in great shape. I am going to need to figure out how to get them in good enough shape to look good. I'm not sure how to go about that. They were bigger than the 86 turbo? I thought they were exactly the same minus the gold touches. My 86 is charcoal colored.

Any one know if the felt cover for the TTOPS will swap over from my 86 cause the AE ttops have the mirrored glass, but the felt and plastic are in bad shape. I want the silver mirrored glass on my 86

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I was able to unplug the washer sensor, no more annoying light!
very good. one thing down.

The rims are not in great shape. I am going to need to figure out how to get them in good enough shape to look good. I'm not sure how to go about that. They were bigger than the 86 turbo? I thought they were exactly the same minus the gold touches. My 86 is charcoal colored.
oh, I thought your car was NA. the turbo wheels are bigger, so they should be the same as the ones on the AE. gold would go well with charcoal, or metallic grey as I call it. you could get some gold Z fender decal emblems from www.300zxpartsforyou.com and that would suit the wheels and you could also get the wheels powder coated if you wanted to take it that far.

Any one know if the felt cover for the TTOPS will swap over from my 86 cause the AE ttops have the mirrored glass, but the felt and plastic are in bad shape. I want the silver mirrored glass on my 86
I am assuming that you're talking about the shades? they are all the same. the trim and plastic too. keep in mind that coupe will fit with coupe and 2+2 will fit with 2+2. in other words, the size is different between the 2 seat and the 4 seat.

Bon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you want to fix the washer tank sensor?
Yes I do!

Thanks everyone for your help! I've decided to get the car painted, im going with BLACK and I'm also going to have the stock rims cleaned up and painted black to match. All black, all the time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you look inside the tank, there's a plastic cylinder at the bottom. There's a magnetic float inside it. It should be able to move around freely if you shake the tank. If it's stuck then that is why the light stays on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts