ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this car for $1000 it has 103K miles on it and it use to start up as soon as your turned the key and it run great one day I went out and it turns over gets gas and spark but will not start
I hope this week its going into the shop anyways on the the pics

do you guys think its worth $1000?
it came with a new Turbo and a extra one
he put a new turbo on because it was smoking but it turns out it was the gas tank so he put a new gas tank in also so now I have 2 Turbos=)
the tires are brand new
and it only has 104K on it
it needs alittle rust work but not to much
and it needs a paint job it has the Diamond Mist that came with it so its faded and the 1/4 panals are black because they are also new
it was inside all its life up to 96 then it sat under a tree for 2 years now I have the car and its back inside with lots of TLC

the car just stoped running one day it fires and wants to start it just can't sniff sniff=(
the car is inside becuase I can't take it out
this is the only pictures that I can get
sorry for not showing the whole body

·
Registered
88 Posts
> I got this car for $1000 it has 103K miles
> on it and it use to start up as soon as your
> turned the key and it run great one day I
> went out and it turns over gets gas and
> spark but will not start
> I hope this week its going into the shop
> anyways on the the pics

> do you guys think its worth $1000?
> it came with a new Turbo and a extra one
> he put a new turbo on because it was smoking
> but it turns out it was the gas tank so he
> put a new gas tank in also so now I have 2
> Turbos=)
> the tires are brand new
> and it only has 104K on it
> it needs alittle rust work but not to much
> and it needs a paint job it has the Diamond
> Mist that came with it so its faded and the
> 1/4 panals are black because they are also
> new
> it was inside all its life up to 96 then it
> sat under a tree for 2 years now I have the
> car and its back inside with lots of TLC

> the car just stoped running one day it fires
> and wants to start it just can't sniff
> sniff=(
> the car is inside becuase I can't take it
> out
> this is the only pictures that I can get
> sorry for not showing the whole body
Sure looks like its worth a grand to me. I think you got a good deal. Since it's getting both spark and gas, maybe it's not getting both at the right time. I'd check the timing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
> Sure looks like its worth a grand to me. I
> think you got a good deal. Since it's
> getting both spark and gas, maybe it's not
> getting both at the right time. I'd check
> the timing.

Jeff, check the head temp sensor on the right side of the engine. Sometimes the connection gets loose and causes the car not to start. Also, check the Throttle position switch's connection and all the other electrical connections. These cars are prone to get bad connections due to turbo heat and moisture. Also, you have the 83 so it could just be the distributor. Inside the distributor is the crank angle sensor which you can not adjust. This item is known to go bad and can throw everything out of whack. They run $100-150 depending on your location. Just a few ideas for you.

On a side note. I paid $75 for my 81 Turbo. That is not a misprint. All I had to do was replace the brain and a few panels(doors, hood and decklid) due to rust. Currently have well under a grand into it and all it needs now is paint. The turbo models are great for increasing HP cheaply compared to the N/A models.
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an '81 so the CAS is on the front of the engine I have tried every thing but new spark plugs they are clean and they have a blue spark
but some guy on this board said that he replaced his and it started

I don't know where the timing marks are on this car do you know?

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
85 Posts
> It's an '81 so the CAS is on the front of
> the engine I have tried every thing but new
> spark plugs they are clean and they have a
> blue spark
> but some guy on this board said that he
> replaced his and it started

> I don't know where the timing marks are on
> this car do you know?

> Jeff 280ZXT

Pretty funny for you to ask since i just fixed my timing disaster this weekend.
You will have 3 large nubs that look like pointers. These are not the timing marks. My Crank wheel was covered with lots of grime, so what I did was with the engine running I carefully took a small brass wire brush which cleaned enough off to find the mark. What you should do is bump it over and clean in small spurts then bump it over again til you get the whole area clean. The mark is very hard to find. It is about 20 degrees to the left of one of the large nubs. It is a very lightly inscribed line. Once you find it mark it with chalk or better yet a small amount or yellow or white paint. This will highlight it and make it easier to read when timing. I used chalk and it was still hard to distinguish, but did work. The timing should be 20* +/- 3* BTDC which means advanced. I also had to do a more extensive removal of distributor and oil pump to change timing position within the motor. This was a little hard to do and only recommend you doing this if you are highly mechanically inclined. Also, it takes two to do this process. Another 81ZXT from this forum enlightened me how to do this, so if you need more info on the extreme timing fix let me know. Also, not sure if you know this but the CAS is adjustable and if you follow it up to the intake you will find a place where it disconnects. Take this and pull it apart and put it together a few times to clean the contacts. When I took my CAS off i disconnected it and did not fully connect properly and it would only fire intermittingly until I cleaned the contacts.
Good luck and let me know if you need further help.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Fixes for your car...I hope...

About those spark plugs, it was me that said to replace them. What had happened to me was actually on my dirt bike, they would spark wonderfully out of the engine, but under compression they would not. I spent a couple hours working on that until I finally just replaced it, and it started right up. Either your spark is off of time or they are not firing inside the cylinder. To tell, if they are not firing at all it will not even sputter. If they are firing just off of time, it should at LEAST sputter a couple times when turning it over. If these little fires are happening, it is timing. If you have nothing, spend $8 and 10 minutes and change the plugs. Also, check the coils wire. It may be loose, broken, whatever. I had my car not start this morning, and after looking at all the connectors on the manifold and wiggling, it did not help. This is my new engine! What the heck. Happened to be the coil, one of the two leads was almost off, barely any energy going to the coil. Now wonder it wasn't running great and smelled rich. Tightened it up and now I have to be careful even on the dry stuff, it will smoke them. It is a N/A '83 car and engine. Even if your firing order is off, it should at least puff a little, even from the intake.
Good Luck,
Joshua L.

Oh, and you got robbed. Tell you what I will do, I will give you your money back for the car, even not running because I am a nice guy:) Nice car!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
horse **** :)

> On a side note. I paid $75 for my 81 Turbo.
> That is not a misprint. All I had to do was
> replace the brain and a few panels(doors,
> hood and decklid) due to rust. Currently
> have well under a grand into it and all it
> needs now is paint.

The turbo models are great for increasing HP cheaply compared to the N/A models.

now i am here to inform you not critisize you but
i bought my n/a for $50 and dumped right at a thousand into it and with no more addons except dometops(with individual filters) and a header can run with my cousin's 81zxt(no mods)
storie goes goin down the on ramp to I-70 we's were both petal to the metal and at the end of the
ramp i whiped out to pass him and was running side by side tills we's hits traffic.

MORAL of the storie
turbos R good ****
but you don't need one to play with the big boys.

jesse75z

·
Registered
486 Posts
Fixes for your car...I hope...

About those spark plugs, it was me that said to replace them. What had happened to me was actually on my dirt bike, they would spark wonderfully out of the engine, but under compression they would not. I spent a couple hours working on that until I finally just replaced it, and it started right up. Either your spark is off of time or they are not firing inside the cylinder. To tell, if they are not firing at all it will not even sputter. If they are firing just off of time, it should at LEAST sputter a couple times when turning it over. If these little fires are happening, it is timing. If you have nothing, spend $8 and 10 minutes and change the plugs. Also, check the coils wire. It may be loose, broken, whatever. I had my car not start this morning, and after looking at all the connectors on the manifold and wiggling, it did not help. This is my new engine! What the heck. Happened to be the coil, one of the two leads was almost off, barely any energy going to the coil. Now wonder it wasn't running great and smelled rich. Tightened it up and now I have to be careful even on the dry stuff, it will smoke them. It is a N/A '83 car and engine. Even if your firing order is off, it should at least puff a little, even from the intake.
Good Luck,
Joshua L.

Oh, and you got robbed. Tell you what I will do, I will give you your money back for the car, even not running because I am a nice guy:) Nice car!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Fixes for your car...I hope...

some days it fires alot some days it does not

what kind of bike do you have?

I have a DR100 I would like to get a CR 250 or a DR 650 that 100 can get some speed up

·
Registered
486 Posts

If it is firing then it is out of time. I am not too sure on what the crank angle sensor does for that car, how it ties in, so I am afraid I will not be much help. Usually though, the car will start even when a sensor is corroded and working very good, at least on the N/A it is.
I have an RM250 and am seeking a CR500. I would not mind a CR250, but...I love power. I really need a truck though, a Z-truck maybe? That is the downfall of the z's, but then again, they are a sports car.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

get a peace of wood some wheels and a rope
your Z will not have any problem pulling it
the cops might have one but hey you have to treat both babys even

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> It's an '81 so the CAS is on the front of
> the engine I have tried every thing but new
> spark plugs they are clean and they have a
> blue spark
> but some guy on this board said that he
> replaced his and it started

> I don't know where the timing marks are on
> this car do you know?

> Jeff 280ZXT

Even though you have a spark it may not be adequate to ignite the gas. Look for a spark that
has some width to it. Especially if your ignition
has weakened somewhat. I got my 82'zxt running
after I changed from resistor type to regular spark plugs. Ask for BP6ES-11 spark plugs
good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.