ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little photoshop manipulation to make this lovely photo of the Original Velo Rossa (#001) into a postcard. This is a 260Z! 15X8's front, 15x10's rear, suspension techniques sway and springs, wilwood brakes, stops so good it can even send you backwards!

This car, driven by John Washington and with original inline 6 Z engine came in 14th out of 101 cars at the 1992 Run and Gun. The competition was mostly AC Cobras!

Steve G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
> I did a little photoshop manipulation to
> make this lovely photo of the Original Velo
> Rossa (#001) into a postcard. This is a
> 260Z! 15X8's front, 15x10's rear, suspension
> techniques sway and springs, wilwood brakes,
> stops so good it can even send you
> backwards!

> This car, driven by John Washington and with
> original inline 6 Z engine came in 14th out
> of 101 cars at the 1992 Run and Gun. The
> competition was mostly AC Cobras!

> Steve G

Steve,

I own an Alpha GTO. It has wheel adapters to go from 4 lug to 5 lug wheels. I don't like this arrangement. What kind of wheels are those wires you have on? Specifically what offset and backspacing do they have? Stock offset and back spacing looks really bad in the Alpha GTO. That's why the original owner put the adapters on.

Currently I can't make up my mind whether to convert to five lug hubs or just buy four lug wheels with greater offset so they look right. The main use for this project will be autocrossing so I want to have this work done soon. This is another reason to junk the adapters. Anybody interested in buying them when I get them off? ;=) I haven't a clue what they're worth.

I probably won't go with the wire wheels for autocrossing so if I go with new four lug wheels I'll have to make another decision. Life is so hard!!

Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Re: Photo Lee's Alpha GTO

> Steve,

> I own an Alpha GTO. It has wheel adapters to
> go from 4 lug to 5 lug wheels. I don't like
> this arrangement. What kind of wheels are
> those wires you have on? Specifically what
> offset and backspacing do they have? Stock
> offset and back spacing looks really bad in
> the Alpha GTO. That's why the original owner
> put the adapters on.

> Currently I can't make up my mind whether to
> convert to five lug hubs or just buy four
> lug wheels with greater offset so they look
> right. The main use for this
> project will be autocrossing so I want to
> have this work done soon. This is another
> reason to junk the adapters. Anybody
> interested in buying them when I get them
> off? ;=) I haven't a clue what they're
> worth.

> I probably won't go with the wire wheels for
> autocrossing so if I go with new four lug
> wheels I'll have to make another decision.
> Life is so hard!!

> Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a nice looking car.

Lee,

John Washington at VR Engineering has the 4 on 4.5 bolt pattern 15x8.5 wire rims that you see on my vehicle. he has them custom built especially for the Velo Rossa. They are quite reasonably priced. They are the same width front and rear, but the rims are reversed on the hubs to give a deeper dish on the back. They are steel with a very high quality chrome plate. They look very nice but are pretty heavy and probably not suitable for Xcross. John also just picked up the entire last batch of 15x10 (4on4.5 bolt) Eagle brand 5 spoke alloys that Eagle will make. I saw about 20 in his shop. This rim is quite light and strong and is what you see on his VR at his website at kitcar.com. The 4 on 4.5 bolt pattern in widths greater than 8 inches is very difficult to come across these days. You can have them custom made, but you will end up paying big $$$. VR Engineering is the place to go to get big rims in proper offset for the 280Z bolt pattern. 602-967-3289. Tell him Steve G sent ya and he'll treat you good. He might even want to buy those adapters.

Steve Graber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Re: That's a nice looking car.

> I have an Alpha GTO. Dayton Wire Wheels made special wire wheels for these kits in the 1980s which had the correct offsets, front and rear, so the tires/wheels looked right and filled the wheel wells. The best place to get a set is a very knowledgeable shop in Santa Cruz, California, called British Wire Wheel. The owner is very helpful and really knows his stuff. He sells and reapirs nothing but wire wheels of all makes, like Dayton, Dunlop, and Borrani. {Jay Leno uses this shop for his cars} The Daytons are true knock offs/ons, with a special three eared knock off nut that Dayton made specially for these wheels. I know, becasue I had to buy a replacement when I stripped the threads in one of mine. The wheels attach using a splined hub adaptor which bolts to the stock Datsun hubs, and a real knock off to hold the wheel on. The use of hub adaptors to run wire wheels is very common on British cars. Jaguar used them on all of its cars (XKE, XK 140 and XK 150 sportscars, as well as on its sedans]. Triumph also used hub adaptors on all of its sports cars, like the TR3, TR4, and TR6, when the wire wheel option was selected. { I know, I have owned these types of cars}

If you don't want to use wire wheels, you can use PanaSport minilite type alloy wheels. I have seen these on a couple of McBurnie 250 GTO kits, and they look great with the Ferrari body style, because they are a wheel design from the same era as the 250GTO.

ThePanasports were 15 diameter, the same as the Dayton Wire Wheels I have on my car. Panasports are still available new, and come in a variety of off sets and widths

> John Washington at VR Engineering has the 4
> on 4.5 bolt pattern 15x8.5 wire rims that
> you see on my vehicle. he has them custom
> built especially for the Velo Rossa. They
> are quite reasonably priced. They are the
> same width front and rear, but the rims are
> reversed on the hubs to give a deeper dish
> on the back. They are steel with a very high
> quality chrome plate. They look very nice
> but are pretty heavy and probably not
> suitable for Xcross. John also just picked
> up the entire last batch of 15x10 (4on4.5
> bolt) Eagle brand 5 spoke alloys that Eagle
> will make. I saw about 20 in his shop. This
> rim is quite light and strong and is what
> you see on his VR at his website at
> kitcar.com. The 4 on 4.5 bolt pattern in
> widths greater than 8 inches is very
> difficult to come across these days. You can
> have them custom made, but you will end up
> paying big $$$. VR Engineering is the place
> to go to get big rims in proper offset for
> the 280Z bolt pattern. 602-967-3289. Tell
> him Steve G sent ya and he'll treat you
> good. He might even want to buy those
> adapters.

> Steve Graber
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top