ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 1982 280zx non turbo completely stock fuel injected original l28 with 140,ooo miles on it just replaced air flow box with three separarte new units ,might change to victoria british header, arizona z car 490cfm four manifold and hooley four 490 cfm carb to match, I think I need to start with the 6al msd, but my tach isnt really jumping around ,its so weird I get out on the highway,a quarter mile from my driveway and bam it looses 40% of its power it idles just fine all the time steady at approx 900rpm but at any throttle response above that it sputters around on probably four or five cylinders,this haynes manual isnt to hhelpful,Im not going to tinker with this stupid air box,by the way that was way cool for your trying to help I owe ya one,.....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Tracie;
Not going to be able to help you on the problem with the ZX. I don't have any experience with them. All mine is with the 78 & older. One thing I have noticed in my '77 Nissan Service Manual though is that the fuel injection system has a very complex warm-up cycle where all kinds of sensor, valves, etc. come into play & all of it controlled, of course, by the ECU. There is a technique where you can pull the connector off the ECU and do a pin check (check resistance on the individual connector pins) and probably identify where your problem is. It is tedious but will get you there. Problem is, you need the $73 service manual to see how to do it.
I have a cold start problem that I finally gave up on after 8 months and put my car in the shop of an experienced Z mechanic last night. If you can't figure it out you can always throw money at it.
Good Luck,
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Its a 1982 280zx non turbo completely stock
> fuel injected original l28 with 140,ooo
> miles on it just replaced air flow box with
> three separarte new units ,might change to
> victoria british header, arizona z car
> 490cfm four manifold and hooley four 490 cfm
> carb to match, I think I need to start with
> the 6al msd, but my tach isnt really jumping
> around ,its so weird I get out on the
> highway,a quarter mile from my driveway and
> bam it looses 40% of its power it idles just
> fine all the time steady at approx 900rpm
> but at any throttle response above that it
> sputters around on probably four or five
> cylinders,this haynes manual isnt to
> hhelpful,Im not going to tinker with this
> stupid air box,by the way that was way cool
> for your trying to help I owe ya one,.....

Don't put a Holley carb on your ZX you will regret it . You ZX has probably run good for 15 years, the Holley will likely mess up in 5 years . Anyway check Air regulator it allow extra air during startup, if it does not close properly when warmed up the car will run lean . Find the throttle body (thing accelerator linkage is attached to) on to is a silver disc with an electrical plug and an inlet and outlet hose attached . Pinch this hose when car is first started the idle should drop, pinch it when car is warmed up idle should not do any thing . If these results don't happen replace this air regulator .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Tracie,
I have found that a lot of time just going through everything bit by bit will yield results. Be methodical in your approach. If it happens at a certain RPM, look to the air flow meter. If it happens at a certain throttle opening, suspect the throttle position sensor. If it happens at a certain temperature, suspect the air regulator, themperature sensor.
Break things down to their systems, and go from there.
As for the Holley, I have thought about that too, but only because these old fuel injection systems are a pain in the arse. Some research, reading, and tinkering though will keep it in good shape, and running properly. As seen by phantom though, there is a time where you have to look to an expert. From what I have read from him, I respect his opinion, and wisdom.
Chris

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Don't put a Holley on it

> Its a 1982 280zx non turbo completely stock
> fuel injected original l28 with 140,ooo
> miles on it just replaced air flow box with
> three separarte new units ,might change to
> victoria british header, arizona z car
> 490cfm four manifold and hooley four 490 cfm
> carb to match, I think I need to start with
> the 6al msd, but my tach isnt really jumping
> around ,its so weird I get out on the
> highway,a quarter mile from my driveway and
> bam it looses 40% of its power it idles just
> fine all the time steady at approx 900rpm
> but at any throttle response above that it
> sputters around on probably four or five
> cylinders,this haynes manual isnt to
> hhelpful,Im not going to tinker with this
> stupid air box,by the way that was way cool
> for your trying to help I owe ya one,.....

....and that comes from a guy who loves Holleys. But they have their place, on your ZX is not one of them. In my opinion it would be a step backwards. Fuel injection is the next step technology to carbs, Nissan just happened to be ahead of the rest of the world in offering it on production vehicles. Another thing to consider is that you may have to pass smog, and we all know that fuel injection is more effecient at fuel distribution. I don't take anything away from a Holley at wide open throttle, they scream, but you won't be on a drag strip all the time, which is where a Holley does it's best work. Keep the FI, and make it work

My 2 cents worth

Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.