ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - Zack is sick!! '77 280Z, stock fuel injection system. Engine will not rev over 2,500 RPM. Starts & idles fine, runs fine in all gears right up to 2,500 RPM and then it's like a rev limiter kicks in, egine sputters, surges and will not accellerate past 2,500. drop back to 2,300-2,400 and it purrs right along?
Anyone know what could cause this?
I had the engine detailed today so I think they may have knocked something loose. Found one broken vacuum line and hooked it back up. It went from the vacuum accumulator bottle to a diaphagm looking thing just under the relays on the passenger side fender well. The diaphragm thing had its connector nipple broken so I taped it up but the problem persists.
Help! Zack wasn't made to run like a Yugo!!!
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: I saw someone usurping your name today!

A red 300zx, first gen car with "Phantom Z" vinyl numbers on the back of it. Sorry about the problem with the car. Sounds like an ignition problem, but the broken nipple is a good place to start. Tape ain't gonna hold that thing air tight.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: PHANTOM NEEDS HELP!!!!!!</b>

The electrical connection under the throttle body has condensation in it. It will dry out after a day or so.

This has happened to mine twice.

Later,

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>It's the TPS sensor plug</b>

Don't freak, It's nothing serious. Just unplug the three pin connector on the side of the TPS sensor and clean out the moisture and corrosion. Clean with scotchbrite and seal with dielectric grease if so inclined.

Rcr X

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

This has happened to both of my Zs and is the "Throttle Valve Switch" on the throttle body.It's connector is vertical so it holds water.Its very very easy to fix.Take the connection loose with a small pointed device(nail file has worked,ice pick,pocket knife)pull the wire out so it unplugs(just like the injectors)and take a drinking staw and blow the connection dry,or if thirsty suck up the water.Put back together and "Enjoy the Ride"

Glad to help "Zack".

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

The broken connection you described sounds like the check valve that is part of the a/c and heater control system. That valve leads to two solenoid valves and controls the vacuum to the control planel in the passenger compartment. The line that goes to the check valve comes from the plastic vacuum storage tank, I think. This tank provides a source of vacuum when you are under full throttle and there is little vacuum in the intake manifold. That check valve prevents the vacuum tank from leaking back. If your heater / a/c starts acting funny, this is the source of your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.