Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I took a gander at your Z. I really dig that stripe down the middle, I might do that to my '72 when I'm ready to put paint on it. Anyhow, I saw in the article that you have those European Nissan springs in it? What do you think of them? I need to buy new springs really soon, and I'm been a little scared-off from most of the regular lowering and performance springs. People keep telling me that they'll mess up the handling, make the car less drivable, etc. I heard some people say that they'd install stiffer springs that didn't lower the car. So I went looking for a spring like that, and couldn't find any. Every spring I see says it lowers it 1 to 1.5 or something like that.

I did however see these European springs in the motorsport catalog. They said they'd only lower the car 1/2 or something like that.

So, that's my question. What are they like? Would they be a good choice for a '72 Z? Where I live there are lots of mountain roads with bumps and ruts and everything... but I still like to go fast on them. Would those other performance springs make it handle poorly on such a road?

What do you think?

Thanks a ton dude!
-rr
-(Robroy, that is)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
RR - You'll Love them!!

> Hey!

> I took a gander at your Z. I really dig that
> stripe down the middle, I might do that to
> my '72 when I'm ready to put paint on it.
The white stripe also has a 1/4 pinstripe that runs downeach side of it from stem to stern. It really looks cool up close. You just don't see it in the photo's.

> Anyhow, I saw in the article that you have
> those European Nissan springs in it? What do
> you think of them? I need to buy new springs
> really soon, and I'm been a little
> scared-off from most of the regular lowering
> and performance springs. People keep telling
> me that they'll mess up the handling, make
> the car less drivable, etc. I heard some
> people say that they'd install stiffer
> springs that didn't lower the car. So I went
> looking for a spring like that, and couldn't
> find any. Every spring I see says it lowers
> it 1 to 1.5 or something like
> that.

> I did however see these European springs in
> the motorsport catalog. They said they'd
> only lower the car 1/2 or something
> like that.

Those are the ones I put on my car. I bought them because they said they would only lower the car 1/4 below stock ride height. Dude!! My old springs (sprungs) were so sagged the new ones actually raised the car nearly an inch!!

> So, that's my question. What are they like?
> Would they be a good choice for a '72 Z?
> Where I live there are lots of mountain
> roads with bumps and ruts and everything...
> but I still like to go fast on them. Would
> those other performance springs make it
> handle poorly on such a road?
I charge railroad tracks, tight corners, and high speed sweepers with impunity. The car handles great. With the Aero II kit it is also very stable at high speeds. I have frequent runs in the 115-120MPH range and it is solid as a rock at those speeds.

> What do you think?

GO FOR IT!!!!

> Thanks a ton dude!
You're Welcome!!

Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: RR - You'll Love them!!

> Those are the ones I put on my car. I bought
> them because they said they would only lower
> the car 1/4 below stock ride height.
> Dude!! My old springs (sprungs) were so
> sagged the new ones actually raised the car
> nearly an inch!!

Wow. Your car must have been low before, because in the pictures it already looks pretty low. Maybe that's just because of the Aero package.

> I charge railroad tracks, tight corners, and
> high speed sweepers with impunity. The car
> handles great.

Did you do any other suspension mods besides the springs to achieve such good handling? Also, did the new springs seem considerably stiffer? What kind of ride do you get from them?

I see Motorsport has them for $180 a pair, (so $360 for a car). Is that where you got them? As far as I can see, they're the most expensive spring on the market. All the rest are between $180 and $250 for the whole car. The high price wouldn't really bother me, if I could be sure that those were the best springs for my application.

I really like the look of that size of wheel/tire you have. Have you ever had a problem with the tire rubbing against the fender? Did you notice any difference in the way it handled after putting those on? My '72 still has the stock (skinny-looking) tires on it. It seems to handle very nicely with it's current setup, but it probably doesn't. The '72 is the first sports car I've ever owned, so just about anything seems like it handles great after my other cars. (full-size pickups.)

Welp, thanks for all the info!
-rr

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hey'ya.

I just noticed that you've got the Motorsport rear speaker cabinet installed. What do you think of it? I heard that you have to take it out with two screws to get the spare tire out. Is that true?

Thanks!!! Hope you don't mind all these questions
-rr

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

> Hey'ya.

> I just noticed that you've got the
> Motorsport rear speaker cabinet installed.
> What do you think of it?
I really enjoy the sound. I have Pioneer 6x0's in them and they bass really well. Much better set-up than the 6x9's I had installed in the flat deck.
I heard that you have to take it out with two screws to get the spare tire out. Is that true?

Yes it is true - UNLESS - get out th ol' trusty saw and cut the deck board and carpet right along the front edge of the speaker assembly. The speakers will still be supported off the separate little end pieces and, if you want, you can use the piece you cut off and reinstall it in a manner that will support the box. Works well for me. Taking the thing out to access the spare tire is an extreme hassle because you also have to remove the drivers side seat belt retractor to get the speaker box in-out.
> Thanks!!! Hope you don't mind all these
> questions
No Problem. fire away.
Phantom
> .

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

> Wow. Your car must have been low before,
> because in the pictures it already looks
> pretty low. Maybe that's just because of the
> Aero package.
Nope, It is 8 from the ground to the bottom of the side fairings. It sat about 7 before the new stuff.

> Did you do any other suspension mods besides
> the springs to achieve such good handling?
> Also, did the new springs seem considerably
> stiffer? What kind of ride do you get from
> them?
Added KYB gas struts. That is what started the whole conversion. My original struts finally blew at 159,000 miles. Ride is firm but not harsh. Like it much better than old floaty ride.
> I see Motorsport has them for $180 a pair,
> (so $360 for a car). Is that where you got
> them?
Yes - I got the from Motorsport.

As far as I can see, they're the most
> expensive spring on the market. All the rest
> are between $180 and $250 for the whole car.
> The high price wouldn't really bother me, if
> I could be sure that those were the best
> springs for my application.

> I really like the look of that size of
> wheel/tire you have. Have you ever had a
> problem with the tire rubbing against the
> fender?
Yes, on hard bumps or a bump in a hard corner the rears will slightly kiss the inside of the fender well lip. I could take about 1/16 off with a grinder and I'd be fine but the slight and occaisional rub doesn't bother me enough to do it.

Did you notice any difference in the
> way it handled after putting those on?

Start/Stop traction improved. tires came after the struts/springs so didn't notice a huge improvement in handling.

My
> '72 still has the stock (skinny-looking)
> tires on it. It seems to handle very nicely
> with it's current setup, but it probably
> doesn't. The '72 is the first sports car
> I've ever owned, so just about anything
> seems like it handles great after my other
> cars. (full-size pickups.)

> Welp, thanks for all the info!

You're welcome,
Phantom
> .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

> Yes it is true - UNLESS - get out th ol'
> trusty saw and cut the deck board and carpet
> right along the front edge of the speaker
> assembly. The speakers will still be
> supported off the separate little end pieces
> and, if you want, you can use the piece you
> cut off and reinstall it in a manner that
> will support the box.

Do you mean cut that piece of particle-board-looking stuff that sits down right below the carpet? I believe I left that piece out in the rain, because I thought it was just something somebody stuck in there! I didn't know it was original. :( So, with it gone, the thing still needs to be removed to change the spare? Or is it that board that hits against it?

thanks!
-rr

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tires & handling

> As far as I can see, they're the most
> Yes, on hard bumps or a bump in a hard
> corner the rears will slightly kiss the
> inside of the fender well lip. I could take
> about 1/16 off with a grinder and I'd
> be fine but the slight and occaisional rub
> doesn't bother me enough to do it.

Hmmm... take 1/16 off with a grinder? This is probably a dumb question, but do you mean grind a little of the wheel well off, or the inside sidewall of the tire?

I don't think I'd be able to put up with an occasional rub... Do you think the next-narrower size would still do it? Bad sounds from cars really bother me... I'm not sure why. :)

How much of a difference do you think mag wheels make as compared to steel? My Z has mag wheels on it now, but they're not the size I'd like, and I'm considering replacing them with larger chromed-steel wheels. I like the looks of the wire wheels, and I don't think there are any wire mag wheels. Am I wrong?

Thanks fo' everythang
-rr

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Re: tires & handling

> Hmmm... take 1/16 off with a grinder?
> This is probably a dumb question, but do you
> mean grind a little of the wheel well off,
> or the inside sidewall of the tire?

Off the inside of the fender well. Your other options would be to run 205/55-16's or to use
3 5/8 backspacing on the wheels instead of the 3 1/2 backspacing (0 offset) that I used.

> I don't think I'd be able to put up with an
> occasional rub... Do you think the
> next-narrower size would still do it? Bad
> sounds from cars really bother me... I'm not
> sure why. :)

> How much of a difference do you think mag
> wheels make as compared to steel? My Z has
> mag wheels on it now, but they're not the
> size I'd like, and I'm considering replacing
> them with larger chromed-steel wheels. I
> like the looks of the wire wheels, and I
> don't think there are any wire mag wheels.
> Am I wrong?
The mags are made of aluminum so they are lighter than steel and they won't rust. Chrome plated steel will eventually chip and rust from rocks hitting them. I know, my car had a set on him when I first bought him.

> Thanks fo' everythang
> -rr
> .

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

> Do you mean cut that piece of
> particle-board-looking stuff that sits down
> right below the carpet?
Sure do. It had a piano hinge running across it - correct? That is the rear storage compartment cover and the thing your back carpet rests on top of.
I believe I left that piece out in the rain, because I thought it was just something somebody stuck in there! I didn't know it was original.
OOPS!!!
:(
> So, with it gone, the thing still needs to
> be removed to change the spare? Or is it
> that board that hits against it?
With the compartment cover gone you should be staring at the tire.
> thanks!
> -rr
> Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

> Sure do. It had a piano hinge running across
> it - correct?

No hinge on mine. It was just a simple piece of board that sat on top of where the tire went. But mine is a '72 240Z, so it might be different.

I don't really see that the thing serves much of a purpose. My car isn't an originality-type restoration job anyhow. I just want something nice for all these mountain roads. It sucks trying to drive a 5000 pound pickup up these grades with a mild engine in it. The engine roars and I climb in slow motion... about 25 to 40 MPH max. The Z goes up the same slope about 80 Max, and it doesn't even sound like it's trying that hard.

I'm spoiled by the weather around here. It's been raining the last few days and I'm all bent out of shape about it.

ttyl
-rr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.