ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my second post. I have a 82 280ZX, I have a Crane Cams Fireball PS20 coil, good taylor spark plug 8mm wires, fresh cap and rotor (OEM Style), all matching good injectors, I have the timing advanced 2 degrees, I am looking for anything else I can do to inprove on performace, other than a Cam ( At this point ), or anything deep inside the engine. Some people have told me that I can put lighter spings inside the distributor to make the timing advance quicker, some people have told me to replace my stock airbox ( Which looks constrictive to me ), how about increasing the size of my exaughst pipe from the exaughts maifold till the end of the car to 2.5 inch or 3 inch? Let me here what everyone has done, I have been reading most posts, and I see things here and there, how about some of you out there tell me what you have done.

Scott Milella.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Several Factors.....

will hamper your goal. 1st is a lack of a goal. For instance, Do you want to get better acceleration from a dead stop, or are you shooting for better 1/4 mile times, better streetability, top end performance??? SET A GOAL.
Next: Don't change that goal. At least until you have accomplished it.
One thing to remember is that no matter what area you address, you will need to address the others in order to really capitalize on the HP gain claimed by the manufacturer. If you put on a new header and leave the factory exhaust inplace, you have left a restricting factor in place. Same goes if you put on 2.5 inch exhaust and don't change to a header. OK, so now you change the exhaust and manifold to the above. Now you have intake problems... Buy a Intake filter charger kit? get work done to the distributor? Larger throttle body, Maybe... then you find out that you aren't getting enough fuel (Hypothetical) at 4000 rpms...
My point is that unless you know what the goal is, you really won't know how far to go. Obviously money and time are limiting factors. You could send the distributor to a good shop in your area and get a better advance curve out of it, which will help, or ditch the distributor all together and get an electromitive setup, Maybe you need shorter gears. Hope I didn't confuse you, but 1st what do you want to do with the car???? That decision won't cost a dime, but the next will!
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some simple tips and "good" advice

1- Unrestrict the airflow into the engine. Replace the stock blue box with a cold air induction system using a K&N cone filter RU-900 and either some mandrel bent 3" exhaust tubing or some pvc pipe from Home Depot. If you want to go further, get the Big Throttle body from Motorsport. If you want to go further you will need to make internal mods to the engine (Cams, Porting, etc.)

2- Unrestrict the airflow out of the engine. Start with at least 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust coupled to a hi performance catalytic converter and a Flowmaster exhaust. (My 78 has just a glasspack in the tunnel and a monza tip at the back, but an 82 has the Cat right?) If you want to go further, get the NISMO header, all other headers will look cool and sound cool, but the reality of their performance is negligible.

3- make sure that your injectors are clean. Have them cleaned professionally if possible. Replace all 10 of the injector clips that are on the engine and clean all of the other contacts on the engine with emory paper and electrical contact cleaner.

4- Once you have done the previous items and still want more power, Then, it is time to look at internal modifications, cam, flattops, porting and polishing, etc, etc.

5- Keep reading this forum. There are many experts (as well as crackers) posting information here. And many many opinions. Make good use of it, but don't take the first thing you read as advice and go do it. See what the majority of advice tells you and use that as your guide.

Hope this helps. I spent about a year figuring all of this stuff out and now have a "Screaming Cheetah"

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Will UR car do Screaming Cheetah Wheelie?

A most excellent blues-rock band out of Nashville. The Screaming Cheetah Wheelies!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: So not having a good plan.....

...Is a bad thing? Steve, if you are refering to what I might have posted above lets not mence words..... You don't agree with what I said?

Interesting. I have built many, many Z cars, some running in the 13s N/A, one winning a regional autocross championship with sponsor backing. I think I know a thing or two about build Datsun Z cars....

Scott M. you do LOTS of research, but get a plan first... You still haven't stated the intended purpose of the car.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.