ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Performance Upgrades

569 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  johnh240 
#1 ·
Just wondering what I could do to my 83 zx N/A to get a little more power without a large investment. I am totally restoring this Z. It is my first, but already can't drive it enough. It has 148K original miles and the engine is in good shape. Recently adjusted the lifters and no sludge what so ever in there, so I take it the oil has been changed regularly. The interior and paint job is what this car is really lacking. If anyone has pointers on what I can do to get a little more HP without a large amount of money, I would appreciate it. My money will be tied up in interior/exterior cosmetics for a while.

Thanx

#2 ·
Go into the search mode and type in performance related words or phrases and spend the next solid week poring through the data. A true wealth of information.

#3 ·
I don't think there isn't any cheap mod that give you good HP gain. I'm at the stage with header, 55mm TB, MSD ignition, K&N filter, and 15% fuel again. cost is about $400. I say I'm only about 170HP. I'll be installing 274deg cam soon and I hope about 190HP.

#5 ·
Same things as with most cars. First things, intake and exhaust. You can make quite a difference with just a 2 1/2" exhaust system on the stock exhaust manifold. Headers would be next up on the back end. On the front end, a K&N stock replacement filter would help a bit, as well as opening up the stock air box. An aftermarket or homemade cone filter system would likely pick up a bit for you also. You might also want to check the cam advance and with as many miles as you have you may need to advance the cam gear to either hole #2 or 3. MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW FSM INSTRUCTIONS when doing this or have a skilled mechanics do it, or you will be coming back asking why your car won't start or how to get the gear back on, or why you lost the chain tension and how to get it back (trust me it's not a pretty thing). A good massive tune up including adjusting valves, new HIGH QUALITY spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and cleaning all wire connections in f/i system will help too. (See writeups under rich running) These things are about as cheap as it gets, the sky is the limit after that (See Rebello Engines etc) " $peed co$t$ money......how fa$t do you want to $pend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.