Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just posted a message prior about injectors. Anyhow this is not realted to that directly, unless the Turbo Injectors will offer better flow, withount a change of the controll module. Does anyone out there know of any low cost, effective performance enhancements for the ZX? Heres what I have done so far, I have installed a Crane Cams PS20 Fireball coil, and tripple weaved spark plug wires ( extremly thick ), and changed my gap to .42. Which was noticeable. I run my timing at 12 BTDC, my car is supposed to be at 10, i just use a higher grade of gas to compensate. Does anyone out there know of any other little tweeks here and there to improve the performace? I was thinking of trying those new Bosch + plugs, the ones that have the 4 grounding straps on the end of the plug, since my coil is now a 40,000 volt coil, but outside of that, i can not think of anything else small to do to improve performance. Anyone??

Scott Milella

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scott,
On my 83 zx I have done what you did plus, K&N cone filter in place of the standard air box, (I have not quantitative numbers, but this helped), larger throttle body, (this helped a lot) and a larger cat convet. with 2 1/4 from cat back to a flowmaster (this really helped).
Any questions, send me an e-mail
Gil

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Performance Tips wanted for the ZX</b>

I dont use platinum plugs myself because platinum is not as good as copper when it comes to conducting electricity. The benefits of platinum are less wear characteristics. They just dont wear as fast as copper plugs. That is the reason manufacturers are puting them in cars these days. This way they can say "no maintainence for 100,000 miles" I put in NGK BP6ES in my car. They are copper cores with 3 electrodes for longer life. Best of both worlds!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a set of plus 4's I'll donate. They have about 4K miles. I don't reccomend them. Performance and mileage both went down. I have ordered the Jacobs ignition and they say that the platinum plugs won't work with their system. I think they are pretty much for longevity and not for performance.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses, here is another question.
Does anyone out there know what the optimal gap would be on a Crane Cams PS20 Fireball Coil in my Z? Should I increase the gap to take advantage of the additional voltage? Or should I leave the gap at .039 to .040?

Scott Milella

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.