ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to know what clutches you drag racers out there like best.I blew a centerforce in march this year and so far have had good luck with a $139 clutch from local import performance parts store .Want to know what other brands you all are using and how they have held up???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
> Want to know what clutches you drag racers
> out there like best.I blew a centerforce in
> march this year and so far have had good
> luck with a $139 clutch from local import
> performance parts store .Want to know what
> other brands you all are using and how they
> have held up???
My centerforce 3 dual friction has held
up great thousands of miles logged.
And i can still chirp between shifts.
Maybee you did not allow yours to break in.
I hear that a 2+2 clutch and flywheel from
Nissan are indestructable.

GOOD LUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Hi.
My 400$ Dual Friction Carbon-Cevlar TZ Series clutch prom RPS seems to be excelent peice. And combined with lighted flywheel feels plain AWESSOME!!!!!

Eugene
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> My centerforce 3 dual friction has held
> up great thousands of miles logged.
> And i can still chirp between shifts.
> Maybee you did not allow yours to break in.
> I hear that a 2+2 clutch and flywheel from
> Nissan are indestructable.

> GOOD LUCK!

Been using lately a clutch from ACT (advance clutch tech) It held up so far twice as long as my Centerforce has also I ve tried RPS turbo clutch I think I'll stick to ACT It taking what I can dish out .......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
> My centerforce 3 dual friction has held
> up great thousands of miles logged.
> And i can still chirp between shifts.
> Maybee you did not allow yours to break in.
> I hear that a 2+2 clutch and flywheel from
> Nissan are indestructable.

yes i definately have to agree, my dual friction is a whomp whomp kick butt clutch. ive tried a couple of brand and even a custom made clutch from one of the shops out here in the bay area... nothing has come close to the center force. the grip point is great and i love the chirps between gears =) an to top it off i couldnt control myself and started racing on it before the recommended 500 miles, a stupid thing to do, but ive got 2 to 3K on the clutch and havent had any probs yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
I have a Centerforce 1 clutch in my 83 zx. I did not allow it to break in properly, the first thing I did was leave big 30 feet long marks down the road. That was at 175k miles. I know have over 213K a year and a half later, and have done lots of spinning and churping, it even shirps from second to third and once it did from 3rd to 4th! Another way to churp is to miss 3rd from 5th to 1st on the freeway!!! My tired have lasted much less, they have 20k on them and the strings are showing, on 80k tires! This is all literal, except missing a gear. Also, the clutch has out lasted my tranny, probably the demis of my tranny, they do not like shock. My opinion, the centerforce I is great, I could not afford the Dual friction at the time, poor college student, and I highly recommend it, I have no experience yet of the others. I plan for a dual friction and light flywheel for my 72 240. Prepare the surface well though!!! I bought another flywheel and surfaced it at a machine shop. Do not just use sand paper to break the glaze, make sure it is flat, it helps a lot. Good luck.
Joshua L.
'70, '72, '83
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> My centerforce 3 dual friction has held
> up great thousands of miles logged.
> And i can still chirp between shifts.
> Maybee you did not allow yours to break in.
> I hear that a 2+2 clutch and flywheel from
> Nissan are indestructable.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's this chirp you're referring to? Is it only with these particular clutches? I've been in a few fast cars and the only thing I've heard during shifts are turbo blowoffs and squealing tires.

Project#2501
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
i think he means that with a nice tight clutch you can semi-peel out when you shift into 2nd 3rd or higher gears. your tires chirp because its a short lived peel

> Please excuse my ignorance, but what's this
> chirp you're referring to? Is it only with
> these particular clutches? I've been in a
> few fast cars and the only thing I've heard
> during shifts are turbo blowoffs and
> squealing tires.

> Project#2501
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
> i think he means that with a nice tight
> clutch you can semi-peel out when you shift
> into 2nd 3rd or higher gears. your tires
> chirp because its a short lived peel
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top