ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any body dealt with a door lock problem? My passenger door will not lock anymore. It is as if it is locked/stuck in the up position (unlocked). I am trying to avoid removing all the window and lock mechanisms inside the door. I have a feeling I would never get it back together.
Anyone have any thoughts on dealing with this. I don't want to drive the car if I can't lock it.
Thanks!
GT75Z

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
997 Posts
Have you removed the interior door panel to look inside the door? That's a lot easier than removing the mechanism, and you might spot a problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mr.75Z:

Buck up; it's not that hard.

I had this same issue and my fix was to swap the locksets from one side to the other. In the process, a good soak with WD-40 did wonders for both of them.

The key is to access them with the windows up, so you can focus on the handles/locksets.

Of course, for me, it turned out to be a pointless exercise when I stopped locking car doors.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have removed the inner door panel. Basically my problem is that the door lock button that you pull up and down will not budge. In my messing with it I did get it to go up and down like normal but then, suddenly it froze again and won't move. My FSM is actually from my first Z being a '77. It looks like there is a difference in the way they did the mechanism from '75 to '77. I went to the link for the FSM and found the door guts and at least the FSM is different and I like the way they show it on the '75.
Hopefully this will help. Thanks all,
GT75Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts