ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks go out to all who gave input to me on tips that helped. Believe me, they all helped. I did exactly what you said do, and I did it. I few quotes that I remember: "After these procedures, drive it like you hate it." I believe that was 12-seconds norm. "I use two (Colortune), this is how." Tony D, I believe. The help never stopped. To give you an example of the outcome:

2500 RPM TEST STANDARD TEST REPORT

CO (%) 3.50 or lower .20 PASS
HC (PPM) 700 or lower 14 PASS
DILUTION (CO+C02) 4.0 or more 10.10 VALID
RPM 2500 = or -300 1096 VALID

IDLE TEST STANDARD TEST REPORT

CO (%) 3.50 or less 1.15 PASS
HC (PPM) 700 or less 58 PASS
DILUTION (CO+co2) (%) 4.0 or more 11.75 VALID
RPM 775 + or - 425 1096 VALID

I also put some of that solution in a full tank of gas and ran it to almost empty and the next day (today-test day), I filled the tank with. Drove like **** and went and passed the smog test.
I forget the name of that smog solution but I am sure it is by CRC. The store people at Checker Auto swear by it.

Again, I am thankful to you all. Ernest (240/260Z) Las Vegas

· Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey Ernest...glad to see another Z'er here in Vegas. Where did you get your Z smoged? I usually get mine done at the Z shop. Only thing is it's closing down in a month because the owner is going to retire. Sucks for us :) As for the driving like **** and smog solution...can you fill me in on this as I have to pass a smog test in a week as well.

ratedZ
83zxt

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RatedZ, I had my 260 smog tested at the Z Shop for the past two times and failed. The first time, the SU Round Top carbs were rebuilt $500+. The second year, a tune-up was needed $135+. I have been here in Vegas going on my third year. So, I decided to take a chance by doing the work myself and trying a small smog shop. The one that I used is the on Martin Luther King. Close to Alexander and a Texaco Station.

There is a shop in Henderson called Ernesto or Earnesto Imports. I understand he works only on or primarily on Z Cars. I have never met him. I think he is listed in the phone directory. Take care of yourself. Ernest

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes, I changed plugs, wires, rotor, dist. cap, oil and filter, pvc valve. I replaced the smog pump (Tom, at the Z Shop, suggested that the last time it was smogged). I put a used smog pump, new chech valve and an anti-backfire valve on. I timed it and adjusted the carbs, using two Colortunes. Did the gas and solution thing and ran it fast and long. I made sure it was hot when I took it in. I made certain I was the first one there. Setting the RPMs at 1000, not doubt helped as well. There were areas where I could not drive fast, so I held the 4 speed in second and third gears longer than I usually. Ernest Again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.