ZCar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,845 Posts
the cable is no longer available from nissan. your best chance is to get one from a salvage yard car. what is wrong with the one on your Z? is it malfunctioning or missing?

I am doing some underwork on my 280zx right now and I just removed the entire cable assembly and cleaned it up... it looks like a brand new part. if yours is still working, you may just need to clean it up a bit and make adjustments. let me know. there is a yard near me with several 280zx cars and chances are the cables are still on them.

Bon

· Registered
939 Posts
If you have rusted floors, then more than likely that parking brake cable is rusted too. I got mine before Nissan discontinued them, but have heard of people taking them off the car and lightly clamping the 2 outer jackets (sorry I don't know their real name) ends into a vice, then soaking the cables with penatrating oil (not WD-40, I like BP Blaster the best). After a few days of repeated soaking of the cables they should free up, so remove the jacket ends from the vice and clamp a cable end back into the vice.
1. If the cable has free up, the jacket should slide back and forth on the cable and if it doesn't re soak the jacket ends with penatrating oil. If the jacket moves easily, pull it to both ends and clean off the liquid rust, then cover the cable with lithium grease and work it into the jacket as best as you can (to bad there's no grease fitings on the outer jackets).
2. Now do step #1 to the other end of the parking brake cable jacket.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the cable is no longer available from nissan. your best chance is to get one from a salvage yard car. what is wrong with the one on your Z? is it malfunctioning or missing?

I am doing some underwork on my 280zx right now and I just removed the entire cable assembly and cleaned it up... it looks like a brand new part. if yours is still working, you may just need to clean it up a bit and make adjustments. let me know. there is a yard near me with several 280zx cars and chances are the cables are still on them.

Bon
Thank you Bon for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated. Unfortunately, too far gone & it is broken into two pieces. It would be a great favour if you could enquire at the yard near you if they one. The only cable I have managed to source is for cars up to 1980, which is different so not a suitable replacement. I live near Swindon & my telephone number is 07960-680-308.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Peter

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have rusted floors, then more than likely that parking brake cable is rusted too. I got mine before Nissan discontinued them, but have heard of people taking them off the car and lightly clamping the 2 outer jackets (sorry I don't know their real name) ends into a vice, then soaking the cables with penatrating oil (not WD-40, I like BP Blaster the best). After a few days of repeated soaking of the cables they should free up, so remove the jacket ends from the vice and clamp a cable end back into the vice.
1. If the cable has free up, the jacket should slide back and forth on the cable and if it doesn't re soak the jacket ends with penatrating oil. If the jacket moves easily, pull it to both ends and clean off the liquid rust, then cover the cable with lithium grease and work it into the jacket as best as you can (to bad there's no grease fitings on the outer jackets).
2. Now do step #1 to the other end of the parking brake cable jacket.
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply! Too far gone so in desperate need for a new cable. Any further help would be much appreciated. Regards, Peter

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Yes, Thank you and for the photograph!

I am situated in the UK!

Please let me know if I can pay you via PayPal & if so I may need your email address or I believe you can bill me by that method.

My email address is [email protected].

Kind regards,
Peter
[email protected] is my PayPal ID... just add $70 for the shipping cost. I wish you were in the states, the cost will be way lower. Thank You.
Jamal

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[email protected] is my PayPal ID... just add $70 for the shipping cost. I wish you were in the states, the cost will be way lower. Thank You.
Jamal
Jamal
Hello Jamal,
I have just sent via PayPal
Jamal
I Have just sent $170.00 as requested via PayPal. About time the trade deal was done so as reduce such extorionate freight charges. Will send you my address via your email address.
Thank You,
Peter

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Hello Jamal,
I have just sent via PayPal

I Have just sent $170.00 as requested via PayPal. About time the trade deal was done so as reduce such extorionate freight charges. Will send you my address via your email address.
Thank You,
Peter
I received the payment. I will charge the exact shipping charges + PayPal fees. I will refund the extra if there is any... Can I use the address in the PayPal transaction receipt?

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Just I want to make sure that we are on the same page. My cable will fit only 82-83 280ZX. Will not fit 79-81 280ZX. Please let me know if the cable will fit your car before shipping.

· Registered
2,845 Posts
Hey Peter,

Mate, if you have an early 280zx and not the later (82-83) as Borini has mentioned^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ , let me know.

my local salvage yard has an 81 Turbo car that may still have the cable... I will ask the shop owner next time I go there, as I am planning to take those nice gold turbo wheels off of it and I can find out a price. But this is only secondary.....
If Borini can get you what you need, great. He's really good to deal with. Just let me know. Cheers.

Bon from NC

Reactions: borini63
1 - 15 of 15 Posts