ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I went to my local Nissan dealer here in Sacramento Ca. and asked for pricing on those little one-time-use rivets used to secure the interior panels. The quote he gave me was ...(are you holding onto your pants?) $2.00 a piece! I told him I could get them for .69 cents a piece from Coutesy Nissan and low and behold he said he could match that price! Hopefully some of you other Zers out there can use the same tactic as I did. Just thought I'd pass that along.

· Registered
107 Posts
i was having a real tuff time getting any rivets that are that butterscotch color. I got a 73 240 with that orange brown color and all the dealers have are beige or black. Anyone know where i could find em?

· Registered
31 Posts
You know that alot of parts are available from Nissan, and some do not know it, they will usually match motorsports price and maybe do better. I got those little vents for the hatch of my 70 from them new for 30$$. I see people scamming others on ebay for 75$$ for these things. Always, Always check nisan first!!!
Rik

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: Turner is a rip! n/m

By the way...those "one time use" rivets are reuseable...search out the little "plug"
that you pushed thru to release the rivet...use it again!!!...as for color: I painted the interior panels with SEM "Palomino" (a light tan) rattle-can and painted the rivets at the same time...

· Registered
961 Posts
Re: Dont you guys ever goto a hardware store first

Man I got mine at Lowes for like $.72 a pair....almost any hardware store (especially ones that have all the specialty screws and stuff...) has them...
i tell ya when you are doing projects and you want to do something like aluminum lines for fuel or water check your hardware or plumbing or metal supply houses (sheet metal stuff like paneling the front to radiator) etc. before trying a parts store...I mean ya know they wont have a head but they probably have the valve cover bolts for like $.02 ea.

Anyways when shopping around dont forget other sources out side the auto stores....

Z ya later
Mike K

· Registered
1,298 Posts
hardware store

Well I don't know of a Lowe's in the Portland Oregon area, but your point is well taken. There are tons of items that can be gotten off the shelf at hardware stores, car shops, etc etc. Unfortunately, it is a matter of either having already been there and seen item(s) that you need / want, or going hunting for the items.

That's where this forum is so valuable, having people who have been there and done that makes it easier for the rest of us. I don't know if Parkrose Hardware here in Portland would have it, but they are the renowned source of impossible to get hardware, so I'll go check them out, but once again, I'm going hunting. Wish I had a Lowe's then I'd just ask you for the part number or other identifying number(s), manufacturer, etc.

But on the subject of retrieving the little pins:

I popped my plastic pieces out of the back recently, since I have to swap out my fuel tank, and I also want to replace my vent hoses. In the process, of course, all the pins went down inside the fender and down towards the rocker panel.

Great I thought, I'll never be able to get those suckers out. Then I had an idea.

Swiping a knee high nylon from my wife, I inserted it into the hose of my shop vac, then turned the elastic back over the hose and duct-taped it in place. Then I grabbed one of the sections of fuel hose for my vent line swap, and inserted this inside the nylon which itself was inside the shop vac hose. By doing this I created a screen net which would trap anything being sucked into the vac without having to open the vacuum up.

Turned on the vac, and inserted the heater hose into the small holes on the side of the panel beneath the quarter window. Success!! Not only did I retrieve all my little pins, but I came up with a few extra that apparently had been lost there long ago.

Now this seems like a simple thing so why the big deal? Well, I didn't just suck up the pins, I also sucked up all sorts of crud and dirt and other items that were moist and probably going to give me trouble down the road. So I continued with both sides, and all the way back to the lights. If you've never done this to your car, you might want to consider it. There was an incredible amount of dirt, lint, and other moisture trapping items in there. With Z's being notorious for rusting, I think it's a good idea to get rid of and minimize the possibilities of rust.

So, for what it's worth, here's the idea for others to try. Now if some of you can tell me how to get dirt, rust and oil stains out of a knee high, I'll never get into trouble over it.

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: hardware store

Believe it or not...I once saw a guy fish those pins out of the body using a stick with chewing gum on the end!!!...whatever works...if you want "free" pins try lengths of 12 gauge insulated electrical house wiring...the separate strand kind...unless you have a "Carpet Queen", of course...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.