ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,To repair a seat belt return unit I must remove a quarter panel on my 81ZX. The restoration book says to punch in the center plastic rivet. It seems to me that will damage the panel. How have you removed these panels??
Enjoy, Lew

·
Registered
316 Posts
no, it says push in the center of the rivet, more

> Greetings,To repair a seat belt return unit
> I must remove a quarter panel on my 81ZX.
> The restoration book says to punch in the
> center plastic rivet. It seems to me that
> will damage the panel. How have you removed
> these panels??
> Enjoy, Lew

The little plastic rivets that hold the interior panels in have a center pin which splays the rivet out on the inside, locking it in place. (look closely, you'll see them as a little circle in the center of the head of the rivet) To remove the rivets, you have to push those little locking pins all the way through the rivet using a small nail or other stiff but thin object. Then you can pull out the rivets. The problem is that you usually lose the little center pin as after you push it through to the back it falls into the bodywork of the car. I've used metal nails of the right diameter and cut with strong wire cutters to replace them in a pinch. But the best answer is to buy a supply of replacement rivets from Motorsport Auto. Just remember that the rivets are cheaply replaced, the interior panels are not. So take out your frustrations on the rivets not the panels.

Good luck. Hope this helps a little bit. Alex

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.