ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'83 280 ZX na
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evnin' All,
Pulled original fuel rail to flush out and replace all injectors (those things are almost 40 yrs old!) and rail is pretty nasty and discolored. Tried cleaning but was a no go. Has anyone painted one and if so what did you use? Thought primer then hi heat enamel but not sure if it would hold up.....rather have it old looking than flaking with paint a year from now....thx in advance....:cool:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Well, I would recommend powder coating as it wouldn't be a bad idea for the rail. its metal. it gets hot. it holds fluid. powder coat is applied using extreme heat temperature. think of it as a high heat paint that never comes off. Where as paint will scratch, chip, and flake off; powder will stay on there and can take the high heat. and it looks great depending on the color you get. only downfall is it can be expensive. but its well worth it. I've also seen guys get theirs chrome-plated which looks really cool, but that is a lot more expensive. I had my entire shaved intake chromed... don't even ask how much $$$ it cost me to do that :LOL: Next time I'll just go the powder coat route. Thing is with paint, especially rattle cans, it will eventually come off. Never really holds up.

if you want to do the paint thing, my suggestion would be to use barbeque grill black (for charcoal grills); I used to pick this up at lowes or home depot. comes in a spray can. works really well on things that you won't be touching and removing all the time. I like to use it on my fan shroud assembly and radiator. better than regular spray paint IMOP.

Cheers,

Bon

·
Registered
'83 280 ZX na
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought about getting it powder coated..definitely a good option...I almost threw in the towel on the original fuel rail and upgrade to pallnet fuel rail but thought I'd try stay original for now....think you're bar b que grill paint would be a good low cost option at this point...black would actually look pretty good there....thx for input.....👍

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,408 Posts
I don't see any reason that a well-cleaned fuel rail wouldn't take pretty much any color if properly applied. I also think that a hi-temp paint would be a good idea. As it happens, AutoZone has a line of high-temp paint in various colors. A good high temp primer and careful 600-grit or 1000-grit finish sanding before the color coat would be advisable.

·
Registered
'83 280 ZX na
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see any reason that a well-cleaned fuel rail wouldn't take pretty much any color if properly applied. I also think that a hi-temp paint would be a good idea. As it happens, AutoZone has a line of high-temp paint in various colors. A good high temp primer and careful 600-grit or 1000-grit finish sanding before the color coat would be advisable.
good to know I didn't know that AutoZone carried high temp paint in different colors that gives me a lot of options thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I painted mine and a bunch of other things that are supposed to be yellow cadmium plated. I’m not sure how they will hold up though. If it doesn’t, then I’ll get them plated maybe.

I painted mine silverish gold and covered them Dulicolor Engine gloss clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'83 280 ZX na
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I painted mine and a bunch of other things that are supposed to be yellow cadmium plated. I’m not sure how they will hold up though. If it doesn’t, then I’ll get them plated maybe.

I painted mine silverish gold and covered them Dulicolor Engine gloss clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
awesome color choice! Those turned out great and look brand new...nice job

1 - 7 of 7 Posts