ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously leaning towards re-painting my front bumper as it looks like shite due to them not using flexpaint and it cracked. also my rockguard needs to be re painted, and ive got some stuff on the fenders that bothers me so i'm ganna repaint them too. anyway im no noob to the paint gun or spray painting/prep work... but i am a noob to paint. and what paint for whta surface and clearcoats so maybe someone can clear something up for me. I obviously want this to match the rest of the car. I've been told that you can have your paint "laser" matched to your existing paint to factor in fade and everything. when i do this, i get a special paint mixed obviously, but can they make that in the special "flex paint" that goes on the urthane front and rear bumpers?? also, what about clear coats? anyone? thoughts? advice tat you could pass along?

·
Registered
673 Posts
you dont need special "flex paint" ... it's an additive you mix with the paint to make it flex. so it can be added to any color.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Don't go the cheap route. buy good paint especially if your just learning, the expensive paints are a lot easier to paint with and get a good finish without orange peeling, or other paint problems. I like dupont the best of all. I would go with all dupont paint, clear, hardner, and reducers. For what you want to paint it will be around 200$ in paint, clear etc.. alone. not to mention your wax removers, da papers, etc....

·
Registered
602 Posts
good subject ive always wanted to paint my own car but never knew how ive found alot of writeups and step by steps on how to do this in the past but still scared to try ....i was offered a deal by the local macco here but they have a terrible reputation.....they use dupont paints now so maybe its better ...they wanted to give me 5 coats of color and 3 of clear for 300 dollars ...not bad i guess

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
DONT DO IT NO MAACO!!!! Those bastards are horrible painters. The don't take the time to mask everything off properly, so overspray everywhere. Most of the time they won't colormatch, you have to choose something close the shade of the original. They have runs in the paint. Freakin pathetic, I used them on my z31 after a fender bender. They got paint on my muffler, t-tops, and wheels. It started cracking and chipping once the weather got cold. Never again. . .

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've painted a couple cars with good results. My TT is pearl white, anything special to doing the pearl colors? I know nothing about them. Are they easy to match up?(body kit) Or do I need to paint the whole car? I actually prefer superwhite, but that would be a lot of extra work. Is the pearl in the base or clearcoat? If its in the base, I would'nt think it would be a problem. Anyone done one?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Tim - can you post of nice pix of the area that needs to be repainted? Is it the whole front bumper or just the lower lip area?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
OK....

Reason I asked was trying to find out if this job was a small one or more major?

A good paint shop can fix up the peeling issue and repaint. However no matter how good they are -- there still can be a very slight mismatch between the old and new paint. They'll also use the right chemical additives to make sure the finish is right and there's no peeling later.

Figure the job will run at least $500 or so.

Post Edited (Feb 1, 8:04pm)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.