ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the former owners painted my Z white, they missed a few spots when taping the thing up. So, I have some flecks of white paint on my black interior (various metal and plastic parts) In some areas there's quite a bit of it.

How can I get rid of this or cover it up?

-Brian

·
Registered
165 Posts
> When the former owners painted my Z white,
> they missed a few spots when taping the
> thing up. So, I have some flecks of white
> paint on my black interior (various metal
> and plastic parts) In some areas there's
> quite a bit of it.

> How can I get rid of this or cover it up?

I had a similar problem when I restored my '77. I found that I could use gloss black spray paint on the interior plastic parts, and they came out looking better than new. I did not try this on flexible vinyl. Use a thin coat of spray paint. (I found that black Duplicolor brand engine paint worked very well)

Good luck with it!
Patrick Robinson

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
What worked for me was to use laquer thinner with the finest steel wool (on rubber parts) or a paper towel (vinyl or plastic parts). Since the thiner is in the towel it will evaporate too quickly to damage the plastic. Be carefull - do not spill the laquer thinner on plastic or vinyl - it will discolor and/or eat a hole in the plastic. A good cleaning, protectant application should bring the gloss back. If you are not happy with the finish after this, you can get a spray can of vinyl/plastic dye in many colors at a parts store, such as Pep Boys. This has it's own set of problems with masking etc.

> When the former owners painted my Z white,
> they missed a few spots when taping the
> thing up. So, I have some flecks of white
> paint on my black interior (various metal
> and plastic parts) In some areas there's
> quite a bit of it.

> How can I get rid of this or cover it up?

> -Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.