ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i dont htink im going to go for the P90 head unless i run into some extra money anytime soon.. i have a complete zx motor F54 block and P79 head and i have a complete 240 motor with a e88 head.. later model 73.. im going to keep my su's and do some head work and get the block slightly bored, cam headers etc.. should i use the p79 on the f54 or the e88.. or should i keep the 240 blocka dn p79? im not sure what to do.. will the e88 work better on the f54? i will probably shave the p79 and add cam tower shims and stuff.. would i have to do that to the e88 too? thanks alot

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: P79 or E88 on F54 block? or 240 block? opinios

i just checked bryan littles sight and saw the compression from a E88 head on the f54 would be 10.4... would that ping? the e 88 is meant for flattop pistons anway right? i would install larger valves and maybe a thicker 1mm head gasket.. or should i use the felpro or nissan gasket i fi went with the e88? or 2mm? sorry for all the questions but i dont have the money to experiment i have to get it right.. anyone using the e88 on an f54 block? thanks alot

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts

the f54 and e88 head is a good combination if you go with the bigger valves and a port job on the head. the best would be a p90 though i like and plan on doing a f54 e88 myself.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

well im not too keen on shaving a head and shimimng the cam towers and such.. seems like to much to go wrong for me.. i have bad luck.. is 10.4 compression ok for pump gas? can i use a thicker head gasket to add displacement and bring the compression down .4 or so? my friends building a honda motor to have 12.5 to 1 compression.. hes gonna shoot the plugs outta the holes.. so what would i have to get done to the block and head? i want the crank balanced and polished the pistons weighed and balanced and the block hot tanked and blasted.. if i bore the block a little do i need new pistons or just new rings? what do i get done to the head? its pretty newly rebuilt.. 5k miles or less..just get a competition valve job? stiffer springs and a cam?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Im running a E88 on a F54 and no problems or pinging. Although there are two
types of E88 and I dont know which I have. Anyway I too was wondering about
that setup before I did it and now,I would do it again. Also it seems like Ive read
different articles saying all of those different heads are the best. So it seems to me they
are all good and just a preference thing going on. You can mill and shim the P79 and P90 for compression probably dont need to with a e88 but valves are smaller.
Good Luck
Mark

·
Registered
74 Posts

I have the F54 block with the early E88 head. Running triple 40 DOCE webers. 280zx dizzy, thunderbird headers 6-2. Brought the head to a shop, cleaned it, checked flatness (straight as day one), didn't get shaved at all, replaced a valve guide and some new valves.
Anyway reassemlbed it and fired it up. No pinging (using 91 octane). Sounds mean as all **** and solid. Have to adjust valves slightly (which is normal).
Have the shop check out the head and then have fun. Keep all other parts and experiment as you like.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I have the F54 block with the early E88 head. Running triple 40 DOCE webers. 280zx dizzy, thunderbird headers 6-2. Brought the head to a shop, cleaned it, checked flatness (straight as day one), didn't get shaved at all, replaced a valve guide and some new valves.
Anyway reassemlbed it and fired it up. No pinging (using 91 octane). Sounds mean as all **** and solid. Have to adjust valves slightly (which is normal).
Have the shop check out the head and then have fun. Keep all other parts and experiment as you like.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

**** you guys are the best.. can i swap the larger valves from a 75-78 head into the e88? how can i tell which e88 i have? if i have the one with the bigger valves do i still need the 280z valves?

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts

if you already have the larger valves then you wouldnt have to get new ones. i didnt mean shaving the head when i said to port it. i mean opening it up more so that it breathes better.

·
Registered
430 Posts

yes install the larger valves in the e88 and you will have one rockin ride. 10.4 to 1 should be fine if you run premium and make sure your carbs are tuned to put out enough fuel. Z on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.