ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an option on a p-90a head. First time I've ever heard of one. I't a hydraulic unit missing 1 rocker arm and pivot. (rocker arm looks similar to the ones on any other Z head). Saw it at the machine shop where I had my work done sooo.. it had a fresh valve job and resurface. Guy wants 100 bucks for it. My questions are, is this a desireable thing for an L-28 and where am I gonna find a replacement pivot. So far I've found out this is from an ' 83 turbo and I bet it runs real quiet.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some 82s and all 83 turbos had them. I think its a good head for a turbo. Are you using it on an n/a? I think there are better choices for non turbo cars. I like the Hyd head on my turbo for silence and no maintanance, but most do not seek this one out for service. The pivots wear out and tap after awhile. 150,000 to 200,000 if oil changes are regular. New pivots are 42 each and used ones are about 8 each.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
normally aspirated n-54 block with p-79 flattops. I've got the e-88 head on it now with the ' 72 SUs' and the motor flattens out about 4 grand (maybe 4500). I really dont want to run a header, I figure 2 1/4" pipes to a turbo muffler should be enough, I'm tryin not to give up any low end torque. I do like the idea of the p-90 head but if the hydraulic one is going to tap anyway whats the point other than the low maint.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I understand, the Hydraulic one DOES NOT tap at all. But, the rocker arms have to be replaced every 150k to 200k like Opie said, and they are pretty expensive (40+ a pop x 12 of 'em is about 500 bucks).

jA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.