ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need practical information, not what the book says. Got one yes and one no last time I ask. 83 280zx - will it start and idle with the sensor light on which denotes a bad oxygen sensor.? How critical is the oxygen sensor? Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
787 Posts
there is a switch on the odometer that when you get to (i think 50,000 miles) the light will turn on. this is a reminder to check/replace the o2 sensor. The only way to turn off the light is to disconnect the yellow with green tracer wire under the passenger side dash. It does not mean that the o2 sensor is bad it is just a reminder.

hope this helps you out.

> Need practical information, not what the
> book says. Got one yes and one no last time
> I ask. 83 280zx - will it start and idle
> with the sensor light on which denotes a bad
> oxygen sensor.? How critical is the oxygen
> sensor? Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The sensor light in the dash is triggered at the 30,000 mi mark. Russ is correct. It is a reminder to check the sensor and it should have been disconnected when checked. Look under the passenger dash and you will locate the green/yellow wire with a quick disconnect for you to disconnect. It will stay lit whether there is a bad sensor or not. The O2 sensor is pretty important as this will aid in monitoring your F/A ratio. You don't want to remove it, but don't replace it just because the sensor light is on. Take care.

LuZifer
'83ZX turbo project

> Need practical information, not what the
> book says. Got one yes and one no last time
> I ask. 83 280zx - will it start and idle
> with the sensor light on which denotes a bad
> oxygen sensor.? How critical is the oxygen
> sensor? Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I recently replaced the O2 sensor on my 83zxt when i put on a fresh turbo. It was the orignal one and it was basicly frozen in place. I wish I would have at least loosened it in place and cleaned the treads and put in the anti seizing compound years ago , it would have saved me the $57.00 for the new one and the machine shop having to basicly cut it out of the exhaust tube.

Just a little input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.